Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trading Times

RiskitBiscuit
Occasional Contributor
Hi guys, could someone please just enlighten me on the first then and last ten minutes of trading every day? How does it work can you just trade at market? I have also seen that several of my stop losses have not triggered in these time frames?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable
stop losses dont work before 9am, its a Standard Bank rule...cant figure out why.

it could be the same for after 5pm, but Im not sure.
0 Kudos
Vano
Regular Contributor
Stop losses only trigger between 9:10 and 16:50 for all instruments irrelevant of when that particular market opens for trading.Except for Index Futures, all stop losses are active from 09h10 until 16h50 on market days only, thereby avoiding the volatility of market open, when stop losses could be unnecessarily activated. Index futures stop losses are active from 08h35 to 17h25. This was copied from my account / stoploss and alerts / help. Lots more stuff there to read.
0 Kudos
RiskitBiscuit
Occasional Contributor
Thank you Vano! Any tips on trading in those last ten minutes?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Yes, stop losses on Index futures does not trigger before 9h10 and after 16h50...
0 Kudos
RiskitBiscuit
Occasional Contributor
Thank you Simon! Battling to get through all your webinars quick enough between work and life!
0 Kudos