Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trading Warrants - Waves

Gugu
Occasional Contributor
Fellow traders, does anyone have any information on how to assess whether it is time to enter or exit wave calls or puts, particularly those issued by Deutsche Bank? Is there a reliable way to predict the direction of market movement?
0 Kudos
32 REPLIES 32
Rovert
Super Contributor
Tip 1 : Avoid Warrants period
0 Kudos
Gugu
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
As Rovert says warrants are not for beginners....U might be interested to track the direction of the market by adding TOPSKN and TOPSKQ to a watchlist....Since Sept N has advanced by 40% and Q has retreated by 38%...,Do attend a warrant course from SBK if possible....also do read the on-line course....Set up a watch list of trades u would have made,then check your results,do not trade live,rather buy small caps to get the feel of trading first.
0 Kudos
Gugu
Occasional Contributor
Thanks Barry. Very helpful indeed.
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
I remember reading from a trading book, where an experience trader said "Warrants/Options has been the only instrument that he traded where his call was right and he still lost money."
They are a very different beast.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
SimonB. Do you agree? Remember back in the good old days @ FIN24. You used to issue weekly TA updates and recommend the associated Warrant. By then, CFDs and SSfs were the things of institutional investors. Not available for Joe bloggs on Online share tradings.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I made good money on warrants, onto CFD's these days
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I made good money on warrants, onto CFD's these days
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Joch. And how is your new experience with CFDs compared to warrants? Any improvement beside higher levels of gearing? How about if your position on the underlying share is opposite?
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
With warrants you have to beat the spread,costs and time decay.Not for beginners.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Benefits of warrants vs CFD's and SSF, is that your loss is limited.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have been trading warrants for a while now. I wanna try CFDs. However, I do not like the idea that if I put in say a R1000 into the market and my position is wrong (for whatever reasons like Greece debt woes), my looses have a way of eating into my balances of say R5000. Is that how the CFDs work? For example: with warrants, if the underlying share drops by say 10% and the warrant's gearing is 5 on an exposure of R1000. My account balances will still remain R5000 and my warrant holdings would be somewhere in the region of R500 with -R500 (loses)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
From my experience with warrants, there are two dominating factors. 1) Time decay (2/3 down the live of the warrant. Generally around 90 days before expiry = disaster). 2) Liquidity. So far warrants are not that liquid like shares (particularly some other bank issuers)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am not sure but OST website they say "Risk profile: CFD = High risk; SSF = High risk and Warrants = High risk but limited to premium Paid."
0 Kudos
Gugu
Occasional Contributor
Thanks BCO2 Much appreciated.
0 Kudos
Gugu
Occasional Contributor
0 Kudos
Gugu
Occasional Contributor
Nice to see someone positive about Warrants. Obviously you found some method/strategy that worked for you. I also beleive that with a bit of luck, patience and all the necessary info. one could make warrants work. What was your method?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The idea is that you NOT, I repeat, you are NOT trading the warrant. But you are trading the underlying instrument (share, index, etc). This is a similar process as the SSF or CFDs. The trick with warrants is the chosen warrant.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I only used warrants with 120+ days left, then used my entry and exit strategy which I still use on CFD's..same principal apply
0 Kudos