Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trading at Market

Not applicable
Can anyone tell me when you cannot trade at market. Yesterday during closing auction I tried to put in an at market trade and it was not accepted. Thanks.
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
klapka
Super Contributor
For every buyer there has to be a seller and visa versa but best advice is don't trade at market, it's dangerous!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well this is the first time ever I have tried to trade at market and there was one other order wanting to sell at market, but the point is, why would it not let me enter a trade at market?
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
nothing wrong with trading at market as long as you dont do it between 9-10 or after 4:30. during these periods, the market tends to be too volatile
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
As Jim would say "never"
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Same has happened to me Zircs.Don't know why.Probably temporary.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you can't do @markets in the auction on OST ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks Simon - so obviously the trade sitting at market was entered before 16.50. That's my one thing learnt for the day!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks Simon - so obviously the trade sitting at market was entered before 16.50. But before 9 can one make at market trades, because those seem to go thru at 9, or would the cutoff be 8.50?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
it's an OST restriction .. 2market on OST only 9am - 4.50pm ..
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I don't get it.I see a lot of bids and offers being placed "at market" during the closing auction?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
but not from OST clients ..
0 Kudos
alleycat
Contributor
What is the reason for OST imposing that restriction?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you would have to ask them ..
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Thanks,Simon,now I get it!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks, Simon, for still being around to answer questions. I know you are on 'another lap' now, but know we all feel your comments carry weight. Incidentally I enjoy watching Hot Stoxx.
0 Kudos