Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trading journal

Ninja
Super Contributor
Keeping a trading journal is critical to trading success, however I have not been able to find a decent download on the net. Trade Smart V3 looks excellent but I am not sure where I can find it....anyone have any recommendations?
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Thanks but link doesn't seem to be active....?
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
sdatechnology gone bang? :) i see what u mean...
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
Ninja, I created my own on Excel. These are the column headings: DATE COMPANY SHARE BUY/SELL PRICE No. COST/SHARE VALUE P/L % STOP EXIT WHY ENTER WHY EXIT PRICE AFTER EXIT LEARNINGS On a second worksheet I keep notes for a watchlist. On a third worksheet I track returns monthly for my portfolios against base date (in my case 1 Jan 09), and compare to Alsi and Top40 The last worksheet I keep general notes. Has worked well for me so far. Main thing is discipline to keep all entries up to date after a trade, ie why enter/exit and learnings. Hope this helps!
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Thanks Sasa, I am currently running my own in a similar style to yours however saw an excellent journal on one of Chartists posts that he uses that is very powerful. Can't seem to find a downloadable version so will continue with my own.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
not sure if you're familiar with ninja trader(.com)? might be overkill as it's all in one software but you might find some of it's functionality useful. was chartist's post on this forum?
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
I saved a copy of Chartists excel journal following his posting in Jan last year. Mail me at [email protected] and I will send it to you.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Thanks Stores, I have mailed you. Doomdayza, saw his post on screen cast where he has all his educational posts.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
why spend money when you already own excel ?? $40 is a decent bottle of wine ..
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Simon ....I agree and have been using my own excel format. I was very impressed by Chartists journal and its functionality was superb allowing for very effective trading analysis with minimal input. If there's a copy out there that won't cost me $40 I would dearly like to get my hands on it...
0 Kudos
quovadis
Frequent Contributor
I think the one in chartist's video was from tradethemarkets.com (click on the trading journal tag). Costs $97.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
0 Kudos