Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trading wisdom from one of my mentors - Glenn Dahlen

reyden
Frequent Contributor
I want to express my viewpoint in the form of a story:so ahead of time apologize for my diatribe. I seldom write this much. But, it happened to me personally. Some 10 to 15 years ago I was referred to a man by an individual on this board...(prior this board OF COURSE).... I was told simply, I can't deal with this guy. My friend being a NY street fighter from Nymex, and me a Chicago genteel I accepted the reference. (from Chicago, not in Chicago. Within one hour I received a message from this gentlemen from Toronto, lets call him Bill.......Bill was a wealthy individual and a Sr. VP from IBM possessing both a PHD. in mathematics AND a the same in computer Science. I went thru a battery of psych tests paid by him, and then embarked upon a real time test of signals on ES MINI. Over 30 days.......during this time being tested I generated ( 90 profitable signals almost in a row) so I became his mentor for 1 year at a very healthy 5 figure number). You may chose to understand I am a very stern taskmaster but as a result Bill became a good friend.....I explained EVERYTHING I did...exposed ALL.....he deserved it AND he paid for it. At the end of a great YEAR, I MADE money, and he LOST money..........I spent a MONTH with him as to WHY........here is what Bill and I found.....He did not take the signal because it did not look right, he spent most of his time trying to "improve" on my signals. Bill, would not put in his stops, he knew to back them off. He saw something going up or down and traded it out of emotion. MY lesson.......this is NOT a game of whom is most intelligent. THIS is a game of controlling above all GREED AND FEAR.......monetized. Emotion, Greed and Fear will be rewarded in the negative Knowing WHY is superseded by WHAT!!!!!!!!!!! Why is our natural direction.........do NOT waste your time......WHAT put's money in your POCKET
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Not applicable
interesting story thanks.
I keep hearing the same story everywhere,
I think its because people dont understand the bigger picture, what happens when you go off the plan.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Very true,very wise....It took me a long time to digest this wisdom,why I even did not follow my own well thought out decisions and become hasty,easily influenced by others at times ,early on in my JSE dealings,certainly always to my detriment !
0 Kudos