Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trading

Preston
Super Contributor
What was the most important lesson you ever learn't from trading this market.
0 Kudos
22 REPLIES 22
Preston
Super Contributor
1.Never be overexposed in term of gearing when the market is frothing up. 2. Always investigate all suggestions made by forum members i.e AMS and John Quinlan.... I got my a$$ seriously burn't by acting on his suggestion. (albeit it was my fault cos i pull the trigger)
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
What happened to you and AMS?
0 Kudos
Happy
Contributor
Don't take the bait on the forum?
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
If i can recall, still a novice , Bought AMS at R1200 , sold at a ridiculous low price.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ignore everything .. trade the price
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
Humility!!!
0 Kudos
klapka
Super Contributor
Remembering that the best thing to do most the time, is nothing.
0 Kudos
md49
Contributor
Simon, can you define "Trade the price"
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
The market doesn't make sense, then use a longer timeframe
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
1. Draw a line connecting the highs and lows. This is now a trendline. You define the time period. Once the price hit resistance - sell and buy once price touches support or touches the lower trendline.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ignore all noise / data, forget targets etc. .. make the most simple chart you can and trade that .. I trade with three EMA on my lazy, nothing else .. price is your only truth .. if it going up own it .. if it going down short it .. if you unsure watch it .. we believe complexity will make us money, it doesn't .. simplicity makes us money in the markets ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Some people might understand and believe in the value of a complex system and some might believe in the value of a simple system... use whatever works for you. No system or model is implicitly right or wrong - its how you manage the system. So what matters to me is to take profits and limit losses (stop losses).....something I am not very good at doing! BUT....but if I was, then I just might consider myself a marginally successful trader.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
problem is that a complex system is harder to manage and offers no extra edge as you're the edge .. so be lazy and keep it simple
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Best way to avoid draw-downs(sideways markets), stay in the trade for as long as you can by managing the stop loss...whatever you make by exiting early ,you will lose in a sideways market...
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
I agree with you....but whatever the system, if it works it works, if it doesn't it doesn't....you kinda get my meaning. Simple is better for me, but I know people who love large numbers and equations! the outcome is the crucial part; are you making money or losing it.
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Agree with you Rams 100 percent and also agree with Simons noise story and to just trade the price. Been toasted seriously on two counters (IMP and AGL)in the last 3 years for not selling at my pre determined stop losses, when I entered the trades. These two shares have seriously damaged my overall picture.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
All rules are off! - Stick to YOUR rules like glue. Keep your ear to the ground. - Ignore all the noise. Listen and learn. - Shut off outside opinions. The entry point is less important, the stop-loss is everything. - The price you pay is all you can control, it limits the gap to the stop. AND there's more...WOW!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
like ==>> The price you pay is all you can control
0 Kudos
Dr_Phopho
Contributor
Sometimes cash is the best position you should have.
0 Kudos