Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trouble in Dubai

Alibaba
Contributor
Are we going to suffer a slump today on account of Dubai issues. There's lots of talk plus it's Friday
0 Kudos
17 REPLIES 17
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
couple of things re the Dubai story .. firstly it is only one company, not the entire place (it may end up being all, but not so far) .. it is only US$58billion which is tiny is 2008 speak .. and when people say they own 27% of the LSE, they don't mean the market, they mean the company .. so thus far what we're really seeing is just more boring media hysteria ..
0 Kudos
Alibaba
Contributor
So this early market slump is just Friday blues? AGL, KIO, BIL, OML, IMP all down to the tune of 2.5 to 3%, Can we expect a stabilisationlater on?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Ja, key thing is how will the US absorb this news. If this triggers some sort of sell off in emerging ecomonies by foreign investors then it would be better to align yourself with that sell off. This could also end up being a storm in a teacup, with markets recouping quite quickly. Went short yesterday in ACL when my entry point came up and I'm quite enjoying this ride.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
dubai likely causing the sell off .. point is that markets move more on hysteria then reality ..
0 Kudos
AJT
Super Contributor
See there seems to be a run towards the US$ - i presume for safety reasons. Still cannot understand why the dollar is still viewed as a safe haven with all their debt.....
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
From what I can tell, the issue isn't so much the company it's the fear of contagion and the fact that most of the government-connected companies have been assumed to have implicit government backing, similar to Sasol and Fannie Mae. If there's no backing, then the assumptions have to be challenged and maybe they aren't as safe as previously thought. It'll be harder for Dubai to get money for other projects. UK banks seem to have some exposure to Dubai, some property in the UK could be sold off by Dubai to pay the debt down, etc. As with many of these events, probably going to just blow over. On the other hand, the market seems to be looking for a catalyst for correction. I'll probably go long on something, with tight-ish stops.
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
US is a Safe Haven - or is it missing the drops because its Thanksgiving holz?
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
by Naomi. I have the same feelings and have gone long on TOPSKC As i do not think there will be another opportunity like this in a long time!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Now there is a good contrarian view on panic. Oppurtunity exists when panic is rife. or as was said, be greedy when others are fearful and be fearful when others are greedy....
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Just be careful not to jump the gun by buying this early. Hang Seng down 4.87% and DOW futures down a wopping 300 points. Remember that R70 billion of foreign money was invested in this country this year alone. A small % of that money leaving our shores could have a huge effect on our market and our currency. Just be careful that bigger investors don't use this as a catalyst to create a correction in emerging economies, shake all the small guys and then buy at cheaper prices. Next year is probably going to be a tough year for funds, and they all know it.
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
i shall have to speak to naomi as now its increasing and seems as if i'll have to pay more!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
we were at the top of our rising wedge resistance..up against our long term down trend..as was all other majors..everybody wants a pull back..the longs..to buy more..the shorts, becuase we can and the chanell palayers becuse we had reached the top of the channell...So sit back and watch
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Even if it is short term, I think the saying if life hands you lemons make lemonade!!

Anyone got a contact to tissue supliers (in mega bulk). This market is catching a sniff or a cold and I wanna sell the tissues to it. While I am at it can I sell some sunblock? Things are getting red hot on the way down. hehehehe....BTW wonder if I can buy a Dubai pad at 75% discount now?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
CPS you can buy the whole of Dubai @ a 75% discount!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
If it comes with the oil reserves why da heck not....Anyone want to but in with me....great holiday destination. escape the highveld chills.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Howdy dudes Me two cents on Dubai. I'm working in Abu Dhabi, on the business desk of a newspaper here, and just now, and we are in virtual news lockdown: I was told earlier to pull Reuters stories on the carfufle, and nothing, but nothing, goes live on our website without getting cleared. Our own reporters are in near mutiny because of the way the copy gets remangled into something that gives the impression Dubai World is doing nothing more than changing the colour of its carpets. This is because our publication is owned by the Abu Dhabi royals. Our editors say they are being told news published here could be viewed in Dubai as an attempt to put pressure on them to accept a conditional financial settlement that favours Abu Dhabi. Basically, the word is Dubai was a little coy about just how deep a hole they had dug themselves. Abu Dhabi helped out by floating a $20bn bond earlier this year, but then Dubai needed more. So now they are talking turkey. Abu Dhabi has begun attaching conditions to any further financial assistance, like, erm, sell us your stuff, and we give you some money. So Dubai, last week, effectively held its breath and threatened to turn blue unless Abu Dhabi coughs up. That said, Abu Dhabi has more than enough cash to float their their neighbours. The issue is not really whether they will help - its a question of how much Dubai is willing to give Abu Dhabi in return. The noise about the debt standstill is, therefore, part of the haggling. I don't see how this will spill over into emerging markets. India is the most vulnerable, giving the number of people it has here working. But Dubai's property disaster is old news. So is the list of unpaid construction companies, which have been standing in line for the best part of a year. So I would go with the dudes who said technical, rather than fundamental news, is going to determine the outcome.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Thanks for the update Gravy. Very interesting.
0 Kudos