Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

True motive for joining the stock market

Not applicable
Once again I would like to apologise to everyone on the forum. I joined the market to try and make decent amount of money, so that I can open a three to four bay carwash. I noticed an opportunity to open one her by my business. There's thounds of cars that pass by here everyday. I can hire at least another eight to ten unemployed people. Seriously the uneployment around here is bad. Near Hammanskraal, where those three guys got burnt by those electric cables. You see the hunger pangs everyday causes them to try and steal, wherever they can. I feel ashamed to see someone scratching in the dustbins. I feel the need to help such a person with food or a job if I had one for him/her. The other day I saw a beggar nearby her eating grass, seriously grass. If the washbays start working well enough, then I want to build soup kitchens for the hungry and get some sponsors to help out too. That is why when I asked for advice, the answer were useless which added fire to my frustration and when I started to pickup on my trades, I got too excited. I am not normally like an Ahole. It's just then passion for my future vision is strong. I hope everyone will understand now, why I acted like fool. Once again I'm very sorry to all...
0 Kudos
35 REPLIES 35
Not applicable
Odds are the stock market won't turn you a quick penny. Profits come from years of refining a system and making a small margin by having slightly more wins than you have losses. Read "Trade your way to financial freedom" - by Van K Tharp before you wipe out 50% of your account - as almost always seems to happen with new traders.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
You are not going to make a quick buck on the stock market. Promise. And if you do, you will lose it all again AND MORE because of greed. Promise.
These are just the facts. And that is how it happens more than 9 times out of 10.
But, as a beginner, you are obliged to ignore those facts because you're *different* from everybody else. Sorry to be a bit crass about this, but if you do what every other beginner does (me included) you are going to lose a helluva lot of money if you think there's easy money to be made in this type of trading.
0 Kudos
bulletjie_1
Frequent Contributor
Edifice, good luck with your dreams. Hope it works out for you. Liten to the advice of the big boys, they went through the trading infancy stage already.
0 Kudos
Running_bull
Frequent Contributor
Edifice, beginners lose by getting caught up in hype and excitement from earning quick money. Try not to fall into that trap. There are some intelligent guys on this forum, learn from them. And If your story is a true one, then i wish you success.
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
You are in the wrong place at the wrong time....the unemployed in your area are going to stay just that....and no soup for the kitchens either...so learn to live with no electricity??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Is it just me or did sombody just put on a Sheryl Crow record.
0 Kudos
Jobarshares
Contributor
Or maybe the Grafsteensangers...
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
Hi Edifice. I concur with all the other forumites about beginners making losses, I too made some when I started trading. But you do learn over time, or by listening to the advice of wise others. If you want to make a quick buck, here isn't the place to do it, odds are against you as a beginner (yes, it can happen sometimes, but WON't happen consistently). But, if you want to build meaningful money over the medium to long term you can do it here if you follow your own rules and good advice of others. Keep emotions out of your trading. Make your own list of buy signals and sell signals and STICK to them rigidly. Trade according to a system, not according to an emotion. If you give me your email address, I'll mail you my list of buy and sell rules, it is by no means exhaustive and would need to be added to/changed according to your own investment strategy, but it will give you a start.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
My true motive for joining the stock market was so that I could make lots of money and buy stuff. I feel ashamed.
0 Kudos
Mr_Bean
Frequent Contributor
Hey Abuzz, could I also get your list. Reason being is that I would like to get into a proper routine, and have specific triggers for entering and exiting trades, but am not entirely convinced that my very basic system will give above averagereturns over middle to long term. Does your system apply to futures trading? If you can, please email me some info to [email protected] Would be much appreciated.
0 Kudos
timba
Frequent Contributor
Abuzz, if you don't mind forwading me your rules, i would really appreciate it. [email protected] thanks!
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
for not making lots of money????
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
For your sins my child... you are to feed 5 hungry people today. No joke.
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
U got yourself a husband now so u don't have to bear the stress of the stock market anymore..
0 Kudos
chrisjan
Hi abuzz i would appreciate if you can send me your rules please [email protected]
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think the first thing one needs to know before trying to make more money in the share business is to learn to read financial statements, and not to let emotions dictate their judgements. If you can get yourself a book by Jim Rogers Hot Commodities you will get a clear picture of what to buy and what not to. So Edifice do not buy any shares now before setting your own rules, what i would suggest is, use the website to learn about shares and then after maybe a year you may start buying. It's only R50 a month and you would be getting info worth a billion dollars.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks ABUZZ. I really appreciate it. It's a shame how some people make jokes about the suffering people, but I think one-day they'll be paid according in full. So thanks again for your help ABUZZ. Email: [email protected]
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Edifice perhaps you should read this book BEFORE you continue to make an orifice of yourself. "How to Win Friends and Influence People" - Dale Carnegie
0 Kudos
og
Frequent Contributor
I'm sorry Mthimbane I have to disagree with you - no information is/can be worth a billion Dollars unless it gives you the next winning set of Lotto numbers...:-) Education/knowledge is extremely important but it is what you do with it that matters most. I for myself am most skeptical about products that claim to make you exorbitant returns on any investment - if this is the case why then does the inividual/organization endorse the product and not keep the "secrets" to themselves thereby earning these returns themselves and outperforming any known investment instrument? BTW, I assume that you already subscribe to your reference guide mentioned - are you a billion dollars richer yet? Rgds
0 Kudos