Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trusts and dividends

john_1
Super Contributor
If one buys shares in a trust... do the dividends remain tax free if paid out to the benaficaries or are they now subject to income tax..please advise...all relavent inputs only...
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
watchmefly
Occasional Contributor
the nature of the income remains the same and is still a dividend it does not change its source so yes tax free
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Is there any reason why having a Long term holding would not suit a trust...IF you buy and sell in a trust would it occur a 20% CGT every time?
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Nature of income is important - if interest is earned in the trust and distributed it is taxed as interest etc.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Shaun i know you know this stuff please drop me a mail to [email protected] with a phone number. I would be interested in your oppinion.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
JohnQ? Jon Qwelane? Where is my rifle. ;)
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I might sugest its were ever you left it? No I am not quelane
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Depends on trust deed, but capital gains can also be distrubuted to the beneficiaries and not be taxed in the trust. You can then use the benefeciaries annual CGT exemption and possible not pay any CGT.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
What are the pros and cons..I am a novice in this department so go wild.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
So if Exchange controll is so damb water tight how is it that every man and his dog has an offshore trust and most tax firms have a team of okes who do it full time.
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Finally, I note SA Patents need not be reg wrld wide, b4 protection kicks in? Wener, John?
0 Kudos
ACEP_
Regular Contributor
Apologies, Werner, Michael Shumacker? I cuuda guessed!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
yes that is true.. The moment you file a provisional a date in time is set. Nobody will be able to file after that date. However that does not mean that you will get the patent as overseas patent are given rigourous seaches and inspections. The issue of novel is very very broad.
0 Kudos