Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Trying to understand warrents

Salv
Frequent Contributor
Ok i get the basic principle behind warrents, im struggling to understand the nitty gritty detail tho. I get that they are leveraged, but does that mean that i am exposed to more than my capital outlay that i used to purchase the warrant, like a SSF?
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
If I can give advice, you should try and attend Sbk warrants course will give you much better insight into warrants, you can also look under help and education. And to your question no u can't loose more than your capital outlay
0 Kudos
Salv
Frequent Contributor
Thx, i have registered for the course, but an inquiring mind must b have its questioned answered ;) Thx again
0 Kudos
Rovert
Super Contributor
drop me a mail with your question and i'll try and answer --> [email protected]. I've lost enough to know lol
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
You cannot lose more than your capital outlay, BUT you can lose ALL of your capital outlay. If you purchase shares and the price drops, you can conceivably wait for the market to recover and pass the initial price that you paid, realising a profit, even if it takes years. With warrants that is not true, though. They have a predefined lifespan and if your warrant is not "in the money" when it expires then it has no value at all and you lose your entire investment. The implication of leverage or gearing simply means that a 1% change in the price of the underlying commodity can have an effect of more than 1% (3%, 4%, etc) on the warrant price. While this is great for positive movements, it is just as true for negative movements. Potentially increased reward always implies increased risk.
0 Kudos