Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

USD /ZAR about to break resistance...

Not applicable
is the market saying something about interest rates....?
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Not applicable
despite a weak USD I might add.....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Yes, I think its saying screw this we taking are money to the money markets
0 Kudos
Not applicable
When is the next US Interest Rate Announcement?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
US interest rate, date please... anyone?
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
The worrying thing is that a 100bps that's priced in by the market has not strengthened the Rand at all i.e no impact. Or should we ask by how much the rand would have weakened if the rate hike was not 100bps? If the US and other countries are going to start hiking, then Tito will continue hiking on this side to prevent too much weakness in the Rand that leads to imported inflation.
Sorry Chartist, but not catching the drift of your question? What are you thinking the market is saying?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Ons gaan k@k wat ons nie geeet het nie. R12/l petrol here we come. I'll bet we'll be looking at R14/l petrol and R16/l diesel before year end. Imagine what that will do to food inflation and Tito's blood pressure.
0 Kudos
duke_vest
Frequent Contributor
my argument is there must be another alternative to sustain our current inflation. raising interest rates can surely only act as a catalyst for the current dilemma. my saying this though is like pissing into the wind
0 Kudos