Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

USD index heading down again

Not applicable
Seems to me it is on a steady downtrend with last years lows firmly insight. That is good for the resource stocks. AGL looks like it is ready to pop again
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
john_1
Super Contributor
Commentary The dollar remains in a downtrend against most other currencies and this is keeping us dollar bears. There has, however, been an upward breakout by the US dollar index (76.0) which broke above seven-month old bear trend resistance in late October. The index has not made a higher high but we suggest keeping a close watch on price activity next week - we'd view a higher high as a precursor to dollar strength. Our chart below shows that the dollar broke above resistance relative to the rand in late October. A double bottom has formed at R7.20 which was our long-time target and the only major technical level before R6.50. Our view is that the dollar has ended its downtrend relative to the rand and is now likely to trade between support at R7.20 and the new resistance level we've drawn at R7.90 (and falling). We are thus near-term neutral. Medium-term, we believe a break above R7.90 is needed to confirm a full reversal and give a new buy signal on the dollar relative to the rand. In our opinion, this would be a necessary precursor to outperformance by JSE gold shares and most other rand hedge shares.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Skaaptjop. Do you think AGL will move downwards, or could the fact be that with the dow breaking through 10000 it will take that momentum and surge upwards?
0 Kudos
KPnewbie
Contributor
I think we will see conservative moves due to the fact its Friday and anything can happen in the US later today. However I am hoping Mr.Market proves me wrong and ANG blasts off
0 Kudos
Not applicable
dollar rand - maybe, but I dont think that the recent up move on the USD was anything more than a pullback. Me, I am going long, but if the USD makes a new high, then I concur with them
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Not a lot of willing buyers on AGL.
0 Kudos