Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Unbelievable!!!!!

Not applicable
I cannot believe that the leader of the Summit/Sanlam trading competition has turned R100000 into R800000,in the last couple of weeks whilst the markets have burned.I hope we get a breakdown of the winners trades at the end to see how the hell that is even remotely possible......
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
Tango
Super Contributor
I'll stick my neck out and say that luck played a greater part than skill.. That kind of return on ungeared instruments reflects a series of gambles that worked out.
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
distorts what really happens in the market.monopoly money is easy to make.would he have made so much with real money.I dont think so
0 Kudos
Rohitht
Contributor
Worse, he/she turned around R400k into R800k in less than 4 days. Is there any SSF, Warrants etc that would give that sort of returns?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ja, I can't get my head around how that can be done without geared products....would be very interesting to see the trades!!!! Hey, not knocking the guy/girl, maybe even something to be learnt, but boy it does seem rather lucky!!!!
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Luck or no luck, i guess i will be collecting my prize soon.
0 Kudos
Samir
Super Contributor
He made the R80k profit by gambling on sallies.
0 Kudos
dimitrius
Regular Contributor
They're manipulating the market to make that return. There are no geared instruments that are allowed to be traded on the itrade game. So no ssf's or warrants. Only shares. This "competition is an absolute joke, and the fact that Sanlam even entertained these gains has made them lose credibility. The trades are done on the last traded price. For a R100k winning purse, anyone can sell 1 share of a company they own for a ridiculously low price, and then make sure they buy up shares on the game as that trade goes through. This game is a joke.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
Julle is duidelik baie jaloers!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yeah these virtual trading games dont play by the rules. a mate and I entered the jse schools business game in std 9 (grade 11) in 1997 and for most of the comp didnt get anywhere until we learnt how to play by their rules. the Share Toco at that stage was trading between 2-5c (I think) each day with little or no volume but that didnt matter. we just bought and sold Toco each day as the price changed and finished 3rd in SA... needless to say we didnt learn too much.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Sure you did not get the decade wrong TZ. That will make you 27 year assuming that you did not fail any grade.. (LOL)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
it's about volume, they have unlimited volume whilst the real market has to comply with rules of supply and demand
0 Kudos
Not applicable
26 to be exact... the big 2 7 comes next year...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I agree.The only logical conclusion is that there must be some manipulation of sorts.
0 Kudos
Tango
Super Contributor
Agreed.. the PSG Make a Million was more realistic, because you had to stump up R10k of your own trading capital. If you wanted to start over in the game, put in another R10k. Makes much more sense that having R100k play-money, with no volume impact, and being able to reset whenever you like. Just keep taking risky bets and resetting until you get a nice 200-300% trade to get you out the gates.
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
I'm not impressed at all with the competition, I entered and promptly went and bought a whole whack of MKX which was at 2 cents at the time. Now that it is 3 cents and I want to sell, they say I can't trade them cos they are not on the list of "allowable" shares. Why the heck did they let me buy them then??? so I now have a 50% gain, but now they want me to reset my portfolio and lose it. Has really p'd me off!!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
This competition is a joke and a farce....even they have realized it...admissions of fiddling and very small trades have been made...they are now looking at a competition which involves real money....
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
Hi Chartist,on my rather acid comments i made on this forum last about naomi,s entry ,week raised their ire.So now we know they read this forum!Naomi received a slightly a snotty letter from them,i think meant only for me.She has lost interest in all competitions and is now a fan of your methods,which leaves me feeling left out!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I would love to see the contents of that letter....maybe we can put a call through to them?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well im in the top 5 and I have not made 1 trade since th competition has been on and not manipulated a thing. Obviously being able to by and sell any volume plays a massive roll, as well as being able to buy and sell before the market opens. i make on average 10 -15 trade per day and the volitilty really helps. The rules are the same for everyone. It just sounds like you guys are sore losers
0 Kudos