Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Underlying for Topi warrants

Not applicable
Hi, Simon can you help me please? I always hear that the top warrants have ALSI futures as their underlying index. But where does one find them? If I look at ALSI Dec-10 and ALSI Mar-11, they both have different closing prices.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
Normally banks hedge with the near dated future on an instrument (liquidity risk limits). Remember that each expiry will have a different futures price as the price is determined by index spot, expected dividends and interest rates.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks Calculus. So if one is tracking knockout warrants, how would one know how far from the barrier the price is? If there is no way to find what that particular warrant ALSI futures base is, surely risky to try and trade knockout warrants and only to the bank's benefit because in effect one would be trading blind because they could declare the warrant hitting the barrier and one would be unaware? Excuse my ignorance but this has been puzzling me ever since they came out with knockout warrants.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
hedge with ALSI futures .. but the knock out is relative to the Top40 index ..
0 Kudos
RichJ
New Contributor
Live futures prices available on http://www.warrants.co.za third menu item on the left "Live Futures Prices"
0 Kudos