Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Unit Trust purchase online

Blik
Super Contributor
Can anyone tell me if there is a rule, regulation or bureaucratic rule that states that we cannot buy Unit Trusts on our Online Trading platforms, as opposed to using a broker? If not, then why isn't this an option? Surely it would be a good thing to have?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable
There cannot be any regulations against that as you can buy any number of ETFs and indexes. If you want a specific fund, call the help line and pressure them!
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Nope, nothing specific, just thought it would be a useful option to have.
0 Kudos
babz
Contributor
Agree with Blik, does anyone know of other trading platforms that offer this service?
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
Unit trusts were never designed to buy directly off the market. It's a great vechile for financial management companies to load admin and management fees onto, hence no direct access to it via a specific platform.
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
Still on holiday still laughing. Unit trusts are heading for net fee pricing - no more rebates to the platforms who offer them - and thence to us consumers - and no more of these silly all in one pricing models which are just a way of being charged fees by brokers on some rubbish pretext that you will be better off from a CGT perspective. WHILST rebates last it will be cheaper to buy unit trusts on a platform rather than to buy them anywhere repeat anywhere else....now back to my braai
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
So I asked SFM if they would consider putting UTs on their platform. They said that there were no plans to add Unit Trusts to the plateform (sic), and that I should contact Stanlib. They even gave me the contact number!
0 Kudos