Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Unit Trusts

fdewaal
Contributor
I would like to buy units from different companies. Where do I find a good platform to use. Would like to pay minimum on fees.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
geordie1
Super Contributor
Most unit trusts companies push you towards an advisor-this increases fees substantially-have you thought about satrix-generally cheaper than unit trusts and because of costs will tend to outperform-just another option.
0 Kudos
StanleyB
Contributor
Equinox.co.za is online LISP that gives low cost online access to most funds. There are also many traditional LISP's (Old Mutual, Allen Gray etc) that give access to thir own plus a limited selection of other company funds. I fully support using low cost Satrix 40 as foundation instead of general unit trust.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
in fact, you get such a good variety of exchange traded funds right now, that unit trusts are going to have to seriously work for their money.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
you looing for an adviser who can help you with unit trusts
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Go Allan Gray direct without a Financial Planner. You can do everything online.
0 Kudos
fdewaal
Contributor
Thanks for the help. But will the Satrix 40 give the same type of growth as some unit trusts over 5 years = 102-145%, 3 years = up 42%, 1 year 13 to 26% and 6months = 8 to 12 %.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Unit trusts need to be viewed in terms of your strategy. If your strategy is to stay local - then your unit trust must demonstrate an ability to outperform the market over a period of at least 5 years (Satrix40 represents the market). Very very few local unit trusts are able to do this. If your strategy is to go offshore, then naturally satrix is not a fair comparison. If your strategy is resources, then compare your fund against Satrix resi. If financials - then against the Satrix fini. Most important point about a unit trust is consistent long term year on year performance - that separates the winners from the ones capitalizing on blind luck. Then make sure that the fund manager is still the same. Doesn't help to jump on board only to find out that the wizard has moved to another fund. This is just my opinion, of course!
0 Kudos
sasa
Regular Contributor
Would really recommend www.equinox.co.za if you want local unit trusts (as an alternative to the Satrix range)
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I have invested in unit trusts without using a broker. Allan gray and coronation are one of those we you can do this.You will definately bypass the broker fees.A new website that uses the allan gray platform as the admin backbone is http://www.investonline.co.za - This medium allow you do invest at for example alan gray and coronation with one application form.No broker charge as you do it yourself.agray charges investonline a minimal fee though.Have not tried it myselg though.Do not try Stanlib they charge a broker fee whether you do it yourself or not.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
i invest into some of the investec funds and bypassed the upfront advisor fees. can definitely recommend them. very good customer service,good website,excellent investment team (research, fund manager etc). bottom line: avoid upfront fees and once you pick a fund (wherever that may be) stick to it.
0 Kudos