Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Unstainable Rand strength...

DEP
Super Contributor
... can the Rand sustain current levels against the cross? R8.95 / Euro, R10.55 /Pound and R6.79 / $
0 Kudos
34 REPLIES 34
Quakedog
Super Contributor
Yes a couple more months easy!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I am calling R6 to the dollar by end of 2011
0 Kudos
Not applicable
...or is it,when the Hot-money International Banker buddies trading rooms get the Flashing Red on their algorhythmical Super-computers, and like a Zombie army, they lean forward and press the Sell button.Instantly, the electronic tide reverses.The Rand is, how shall we say...truly a NOTHING currency.In 2011, we shall see why it's not even as good as 2-ply.Until then, let her float gently at current levels, in an Ocean of Wall Street Whimsy.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
VI, you right .. but what's going to make that happen ?? until something triggers it (as it did in 2008) the rand goes stronger and your gold trade muddles along .. why not wait for them to start selling and act then, rather then pre-empt it an loose in the waiting game ??
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Gld is not just muddling along,it has got into a little bear channel.If 91.50 breaks we are looking at strong support at about 88.20.
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
(that's where I will pile in again)
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
A conclusive break of the Zar6.82 seen opening potential for Zar6.75 but that was on 14th Dec. so the algorithm is still running.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
GLD:Still on a BUY signal and in Supply.R90 is NB as P&F Support.Below that>> R87.On the other hand,GLD with a lightning-up, to R97.60 sees me all-out.(that's the plan anyway.).###Until then....it's like a Mills and Boone novel.So much schmaltz,you just Zombie out,automatically.Sorry ladies...just can't handle that stuff.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well....it's that 'Flash-crash' phenomenon that keeps me hiding in GLD for now.Stuff can easily reverse from here quite hard and STILL be bullish.I shall observe till then re Equities and linked cfds'.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
'Flash-crash' is a myth and you gonna go broke weaiting for one .. trade the price, not the dream ..
0 Kudos
Fredsed
Super Contributor
Zar now begs support at 6.75 tis crunch time.
0 Kudos
APE
Not applicable
What I want to know, in my layman terms, is if the Rand is strengthening because of cash inflows due to a high interest rates,can South Africa afford to pay all this interest
0 Kudos
dbm
Frequent Contributor
South Africa pays the interest anyway. The interest is just more valuable to the foreign buyer
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I don't know why the dummies who are running the countey don't see it. Maybe I am old fashioned but currencies strength/ weakness should be related to the inflation rate. Surely if our interest rates were a point above the inflation rate this would in the medium term halt the carry trade. Also why not abolish exchange control altogether. Then we can play the same game.
0 Kudos
Quakedog
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
you're wrong on all points you make .. carry trade continues until our rates get to under 1% coz right now people borrow money for 0.25% or even free .. an it is imnflation relatve to another countries iflation, over the long term .. short term (less then 5 years) it is supply and demand .. and exchange controls going won't change anything ..
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
as an individual you can move R4m per person per year out the country SARS allows u to do that. If you married with two kids, that R20m per year.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
hello. yesterday gold went up by $20. my question is GLD drifting at 91.30 when is GLD going to go upto 96.00? how do i know when is a good time to buyinto GLD.
0 Kudos
WR
Regular Contributor
as soon as the rand weakens
0 Kudos