Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Very little value left in this market

kwagga
Super Contributor
I've searched and found very little value in this market. I reckon a proper pull back will be quite welcome right now.
0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
gareth01
Regular Contributor
Totally agree with you....sitting in cash awaiting this pullback. Dont think it will be a massive correction, but a moderate one of 5%.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
The trick is working out when it's a correction and when it's trend change...corrections in a rising market is buyable....but how o you know it's a correction?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
fully agreed, weve only been this stretched 4 times in 50 years, were due for a pullback...and with stimulus disappearing
Noone can really guess how far we going to pullback, but I think the best is really just to do the preparation and get ready, sit in cash and buy when you happy with the levels again, irrelevant if it goes further, just my opinion.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
my possible levels for a pullback is to 34,000 (10%) or 30,000 (20%) on Top40.
I think with stimulus ending well probably go further down than expected.
0 Kudos
geordie1
Super Contributor
well if u are into risk there is some value>african bank has been severely punishedif u beleive retial will one day recover maybe something there worth a flutter>whatever u need appetite to take risk.on whether the market will correct or not I HAVE NO IDEA.will do one day but when?who knows>I have a bit in cash and rest in market.not prepared to take an extreme view
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
well, one should always buy on the way up...not on the way down. I think that holds for investment also. Problem is that markets move up, down and sideways...develop a strategy for entry and exit and it becomes simple...think a lot when you developing the strategy and do the research and the reading and listening to TV shows, but when it comes to doing the trade/investment, there should be no thinking/emotions. WITH INVESTING, i look at the fundamentals to determine value, then its all about price when i decide to buy....
0 Kudos
partridge
Super Contributor
The stripey horse is of course correct that there are not a lot of shares which are screaming " buy me I am cheap" . but time frame is surely an input into all this? There is a portion of my portfolio on which I have a 10 year view. With that in mind - expensive is a question with a relative answer? So even though CFR did not run up its 10% on crossing the line of R100.00 - it still looks reasonably priced with that time-frame in mind? So if you are inclined it looks like hours need to be put in looking at all the accounting stuff and company and industry news in order to find the underpriced counters....for myself , time for a cup of tea - sadly- not leaf tea.
0 Kudos
______
Occasional Contributor
What would the effect be on the Rand, if any, if we do see a significant pull back? Earning few Dollars at the moment, always trying to judge when to send to SA.
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
I guess when the first bomb is dropped in Syria, it would be a good time to sell some dollars for rand. Until then, expect your dollar to earn you a little more rand every day.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
When the first bomb s dropped, the dollar will earn you more rands, I think.....Chuck Norris , eh Chuck HAGEL is rearing to go
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
this was a good laugh...in about 1911, Zanzibar went to war with the USA, and it was over in 30 minutes...
0 Kudos
Ang
New Contributor
.... Capitec and finbond as financial institutions are great money makers for the future... capitec haven't even started to really truly come into the market the way they truly could ... still to release credit cards... Business accounts... Cheques.. when they unleash full range of services they going to be unstoppable.. Ppl laugh at me ... But wouldn't be surprised if they become atleast a 5 bagger from where they are now within next few yrs... finbond... Just starting out..opened up another branch last week in Germiston ... Excellent management team..(one who used to work at SAB)... they too will take time but see great opportunity there aswell... With regards to African bank... Wouldn't touch them... In fact.. If someone gave them to me as a birthday present I'd sell them for something else... their rights issue or whatever they doing to raise something like 4 billion would make me feel very uneasy..(for an established institution not looking to expand to be doing that)... Especially with all the law suits and instability going around with many financial lending institutions ... Can't remember if they were part of it or not... they did drop significantly from the R40 mark.. Might make a jump back but I personally don't like that risk...
0 Kudos
kwagga
Super Contributor
These companies did well when inflation was in check and interest rate cuts on the cards. SA consumers are drowning in dept. What do you think will happen when interest rates start rising again for micro loan companies - and it will happen sooner or later. Capitec is actually looking outside SA for growth, and not diversification in products locally. That tells a story of it's own. The share has been consolidaing for the last two years now.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
So, that was a stroke of brilliance from Obama,,,got himself out of a corner by asking Congress to approve the Military strike on Syria...Congress opposed him on almost everything, so maybe he is hoping for more of the same!
0 Kudos
Happy
Contributor
I agree with Kwagga, I have cash at the moment, but am very reluctant to plunge in. Have been entering the market in small bits at a time over the last couple of months, but will now only buy in on pullbacks. A trend change... now that is another thing all together...
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
The peace prize winner painted himself into that corner...nothing brilliant about that. Yes we can...still make war? Perhaps he should rather attend to the looming debt ceiling...again.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
so suddenly everybody is a value investor ??
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
lol. so true Simon. maybe we should follow the herd...lol
0 Kudos