Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Vodacom listing to go ahead on monday! Cosatu appeal rejected

_Marco_
Frequent Contributor
Pretoria - High-court judge John Murphy has decided to reject an application by trade union federation Cosatu and the Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) to stop cellular giant Vodacom from listing on the JSE on Monday. Good news vodacom will still list on monday. What about the 6% share price drop witnessed @ the close of trade on friday, will there be some sort of compensation for those who held telkom shares during that period?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
David99755
Contributor
This is good news indeed, what is your source? I am also concerned about the drop as I bought at 118 and it closed at 113 - what do you think this will mean for the share price of TKG ex Vodacom?
0 Kudos
Oracle_of_Twini
New Contributor
For astute investors the 6% drop in the price should be within ones margin of safety, which on average should not be less than 20%. However, one must look at the bigger benefits that the vodacom listing will bring to Telkom shareholders, viz R19 dividend (which translates to a 16% discount on the price) plus the free vodacom shares which should list at a reasonable price given its market cap and share.
0 Kudos
David99755
Contributor
Being the Oracle, what do you reckon the VOD shares will trade at?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Is this right, never thought that the court would hear this over the weekend. If indeed this is correct Yipeee!
0 Kudos
David99755
Contributor
0 Kudos
Oracle_of_Twini
New Contributor
My guess is a s good as yours. However, based on the (after debt/tax) dividend Telkom hopes to pay (for its sale of 15% of vodacom), vodacom's market cap and market share against rival MTN, and the current depressed economic climate I would say anything between R60 - R90). If it is higher, then telkom shareholders would be lucky. Telkom price would drop since a significant cash generating asset (VODACOM) is being unbundled. Hopefully telkom would drop less than the vodacom price as you would then be in the money. If TELKOM drops significantly, one consideration would be to sell the vodacom shares (if it is not appreciating too much over the nexk week) and buy more telkom shares within the period that allows you to qualify for the additional dividend. You have a week to do this. You can always sell the telkom shares and repurchase more vodacom shares the day after the dividend record date and you will then also have pocketed the R19/share dividend. As usual, do your own analysis, remain unemotional about what the market is doing every day, have/calculate your own margin of safety within which you feel comfortable and exercise reasonable caution in the current volatile market. Good luck. OoT
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Good news about the listing, at least the rule of law still aplies in RSA. Well VOD will have a market capitalisation that will put it in the top ten companies on the JSE so I think they will list at around R80.00 to R95.00
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
VOD will be listing today as planned ..
0 Kudos
platsak
Super Contributor
Good morning Simon. What will the listig price be?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
there is no listing price as it is an unbundling, market forces will determine the price. Seems that expectations are R50-R60.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
When wiil VOD shares reflect on one's portfolio if one is a current TKG share holder?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well that's answered but why do I also have DTA shares?
0 Kudos
Woeste
Contributor
I also have DTA shares? R we getting hand outs now?
0 Kudos