Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Vodafone wants MTN stake

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Johannesburg - Global mobile phone giant Vodafone is in preliminary talks seeking a stake in South African-based cellphone company MTN's international operations, a newspaper reported on Sunday. Vodafone, the world's largest mobile phone company by revenue, engaged MTN in pursuit of a multi-billion rand share after the government blocked it from purchasing a controlling stake in rival local phone operator Vodacom, South Africa's Sunday Times reported.

MTN chief executive officer Phuthuma Nhleko had confirmed British-based Vodafone was one of the companies that had approached him, but added he had nothing to report to shareholders, the newspaper said.

It went on to say: "The talks were confirmed by an MTN insider and by an independent source in the South African financial services sector, who is familiar with the detail of the discussions."

MTN unveiled a 17% rise in 2007 adjusted headline earnings per share on Wednesday and said it would boost its subscribers by a third this year as a foray into Iran pays off.

http://www.fin24.com/articles/default/display_article.aspx?ArticleId=1518-24_2292788
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15
Not applicable
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I might need to increase my warrant's position soon... i think MTN might perform well tomorrow.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Which ones you looking at? I reckon financials will bounce again tomorrow.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I have a few MTNDBA's, only a small position, but am looking at PGR as well, to start going long. will acquire SSF's incrementally if all looks OK for a long position. Already have shares position for several years.
0 Kudos
swordfish
Frequent Contributor
what would be a fairly good price to enter long werner
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
swordfish, i am not an expert, but my view is that current levels around 127-130 are good, when we breach 132 and stay above this level, i think it is a bullish sign. NOTE: that is only my view and i am no expert, so i could be wrong.
0 Kudos
swordfish
Frequent Contributor
thanxs werner.unfortinutly it seems you are refering to warents,something i dont understand.what would be a good price to go long on ssf.understand it is only your wiew
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
The SSF would be a bit higher, due to the interest calculation, etc. but if we see a positive day tomorrow, i would think it is attractive. I normally use the underlying chart for reference, and those are the quoted values...
0 Kudos
swordfish
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
pleasure, lets just see what happens now with it... i think tomorrow will be a good day...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Vodafone said it had no contact or discussions with MTN about acquiring a stake in its international operations. I wonder what will happen to MTN current price after this statement by Vodafone.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Where did you hear this from, please post the link.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
reuters reported this at 12.04, and MTN is slightly up since then.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
thanks simon, i think MTN was not driven up so much on that news in any case, it basically regained its drop from last week and a bit, so maybe it will stay there, i think it is very good share even without Vodafone...
0 Kudos