Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

WEAPONS for licences?

THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Turkcell has alleged at the current hearings that MTN promised weapons, money and UN votes in exchange for concessions (Per BLOOMBERG) Disgraceful if it is true.
0 Kudos
41 REPLIES 41
warhippo
Super Contributor
None of us now would know how true these allegations are. There is some smoke - so how big is the fire??
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
more important, how can the trader benefit from this, fire or smoke. My entry for MTN is below 120...how much smoke is there
0 Kudos
JulzM
Regular Contributor
how low can you go
0 Kudos
JulzM
Regular Contributor
how low can you go
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and dont tell me you will not snap up MTN at 105 because of some smoke?
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Smoke? - not sure I like what I see - only time will tell. Good Luck to you traders.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Tread very carefully - if American investors dump this thing - it will simply cascade through previous support levels. AND if there is any truth in the allegations - it would deserve it!
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
you think the morals of the Americans will get in the way of their trading or investing? How does the smoke affect the fundamentals anyway. Once the fire is extinguished and smoke disappears, the opportunity will be lost?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
No! America can rule the actual company an enemy of the state and prohibit American instituions (and ultimately even individuals) from owning the shares.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
AND notwithstaning US State Department involvement - institutions will observe ethical investment policies. You forget how puritanical Americans can be.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
AND notwithstaning US State Department involvement - institutions will observe ethical investment policies. You forget how puritanical Americans can be.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
You know that for a fact?and has South Africa been ruled an enemy of the state becuase they been selling some hardware to Iran? When i look at the chart and MTN signals a buy at around the 105 mark, I am in for 1000 MTN for a long term investment and 3000 CFDS for a trade. But as i said...only if the signal is right which means the fire will be extinguished. While the fire is still burning, then short MTN and you will be fullfilling your moral obligations and get rewarded for it!
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I will not buy this stock on ethical grounds if this proves to be true. Nor will I use their services. Invest at own risk - just don't be oblivious to the true downside potential.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
then where does it stop..what about all those TOP 40 companies that propped up the NATS during apartheid? and the tobacco companies and liquor companies and all the miners that have plundered the countries resources?
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
I am not interested in petty vices! AS for The TOP40 companies - they paid tax and grew - then they gave chunks of them away to the BEE brigade. If they sold weapons to the NATS - that might be different! Let's try to remain rational.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
i also dont care much about what they sold and what they did not sell to the NATS , in the same way i dont care much about what MTN sold or did not sell to the TURKS or nigerians. The point is that you cannot confuse fundamentals and trading signals with news becuase the news will filter down to the price and price will generate a signal, either buy or sell, so why trade or invest on what you think is right or wrong?
0 Kudos