Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

WHICH UNI

SIMBA
Super Contributor
My son who will enroll for a B.A. in international studies/Law in 2011, Any of you bright people have any thoughts on: Rhodes.U.C.T. or Stelenbosch and why.Thanks
0 Kudos
46 REPLIES 46
Not applicable
Stellenbosch... I am studying there now and loving every minute. Studying a Bcom Investment management but I have heard that the BA factulty is also very good. Also one of the best environments to study in, in the whole of SA.
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
I studied at Rhodes. very good environment, small number(makes a good community), plus they are good. all the three u mentioned are good Universities.
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
I studied at Rhodes - best time of my life! Choose a university away from a big city. Grahamstown or Stellenbosch provides an an opportunity for your son to truely experince what it is like to study in an educational town similar to Oxford bor Cambridge. There is more to studying than a qualification!
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Currently living in Grahamstown and having spent the better portion of my life studying and being involved at Rhodes and with Rhodes staff gives me a slightly bias opinion. I think its great and wouldnt move for the world. Rhodes is a small collegiate varsity with a great spirit and atmosphere, and has some pretty good departments - Commerce, Pharmacy, Journalism anf their Science faculties are all well rated. the residences are nice, and everyone gets their own room - not sure about other varsities. Everything is within walking distance around the campus. Rhodes is also growing, its now just under 7000 students, so small enough to feel personal about the place, yet just large enough not to know everyone. IMHO and like I said, a bit bias.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Where do you live, Simba? Rhodes is 2hrs from PE & ELZ so will need a car if he wants to go anywhere, but I agree that its a small town with not much else going on except University & a few too many schools... One wimpy, Debonairs & plenty of bars :) Good & well rated Varsity - Maties is slightly larger, no parking so car is of no use. Smallish town feel with more than one wimpy & a heck of a lot more Dens of Evil :) Well rated Varsity with good facilities & not nearly as cold as Grahamstown. I just wouldnt touch UCT with a 10ft pole. Might have been good back in the good old days, but now... hmmm I think the jury is still out.
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
Don't give him a car till at least 3rd year - thats what makes Rhodes such a fab university - let him walk to the Vic and other great pubs there. If he wants transport get him a bicycle (like Oxford etc)!
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
In the interests of not offending anyone, do you want me to be honest or just shut up.
0 Kudos
earlyret
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
i think it depends on your son, for me personally rhodes is too small. If you are into the small town thing, why not rather opt for stellies over rhodes, as cape town/hermanus etc not to far, just incase you need get out of town to see some new faces:).
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
He is not very strong with Afrikaans will that be a big set back at Stelenbosch ?
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Alas, the Vic is no longer. It's a resturant now. bit lots more choices to down some fine ale.
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
Rat and Parrot?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Don't forget North-west University Potch campus. Fully bilingual, small town, at present very few student disruptions and not too far away from Mom!
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Still going strong.
0 Kudos
Mar-11
Super Contributor
get him to chech with the faculty, but i think BA/law is quit afrikaans, i think it depends on the course.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Maybe take a digital tour using Google Earth, Street View. Grahamstown and Stellenbosch are both captured.
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
i am Grahamstown a visit. not been there since graduation.
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
We have visited both towns but it was the inside info that only you people can know what goes on behind the scenes that i was looking for and you have been very helpful, as there have been no negative comments. I thank you all...........
0 Kudos
leminus2
Regular Contributor
I studied at stellenbosch and my afrikaans was basically non existent. However did my B.Acc there and its an awesome university. Would recommend Stellies.
0 Kudos