Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

WHICH UNI

Not applicable
Stellenbosch is the way to go. Just look at the Varsity cup rugby:) forget about all the academic nonsense. at the end of the day all that counts at varsity is the Ruggaz... go maties
0 Kudos
Not applicable
For a small university Potch is not doing too bad!
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
Nothing more cultural than Sunday afternoon tea at the 1820 Settlers Monument......Rhodes all the way!
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
Nothing more cultural than Sunday afternoon tea at the 1820 Settlers Monument......Rhodes all the way!
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
u remind me of FOUNDERS HALL guys.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
You can still have tea at Settlers Monument, well occasionally, but the Motel is no more. It's a Post Graduate Residence now. Alas no more beer fueled Thursdays - and about the only place I ever knew where you could order a case of beer from the bar. Sundowners on Gunfire hill or Mountain Drive, doesn't quite compete with sundowners on Lion's Head or Table Mountain, but is still pretty decent.
0 Kudos
shares
Contributor
All three are good universities. I've studied at one, applied at the other and know graduates of the other. BA Law - is he keen on becoming a lawyer?
0 Kudos
vusi_1
Contributor
Simba Without question : UCT ... I never studied there , but I know the PLENTY people who studied there ... Benefits are the networks that UCT grads have ...plus generally regarded as the best grads in the market ... The other 2 Unv are good , but they are a distant second to UCT ... All the comments made by the guys here are not objective ...mine are not having studied at any of these UNV .... The best test will be to find out from possible employers which UNV to they admire most ...??? Hope this has helped ...Cheers Vusi
0 Kudos
vusi_1
Contributor
Simba Without question : UCT ... I never studied there , but I know PLENTY people who studied there ... Benefits are the networks that UCT grads have ...plus generally regarded as the best grads in the market ... The other 2 Unv are good , but they are a distant second to UCT ... All the comments made by the guys here are not objective ...mine are not having studied at any of these UNV .... The best test will be to find out from possible employers which UNV to they admire most ...??? Hope this has helped ...Cheers Vusi
0 Kudos
shares
Contributor
Hi Vusi. I have studied part time via UCT last year and am studying further through them this year. This is not the first university I've studied through nor is this my first degree. I stand by my comments in my previous message that they are not head and shoulders above the rest. There are still many jacked up universities in South Africa however as with most things in life you only get out what you put in as hard work.
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
Vusi you are correct, my son in law is a directer of a multinational and they have a stringent policy the 3 i have mentioned plus Wits and Pmb. They are the only people they interview or sponsor. I thought U.C.T.would have been streets ahead and am supprised by the lack of support from the forum. Thanks again for your input..
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I would like to suggest the real problem is... why the ***** are you studing a BA degree in the first place.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
whats the difference between a BA degree and a Pizza?.... A pizza can actually feed a family.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
what do say to a BA hounors graduate...."hamburger and chips please, and make it quick"
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
In some unis like, Rhodes for example, Law can falls under Arts, so you graduate with a BA LLB degree for example. Anyway once you get to Ph.D, it doesnt really matter. Similarly some Science and Commerce subjects can also be taken under Arts. It depends what the varsity offers.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why stydy for a BA? Amongst other things, because it helps students develop lateral thinking which is valued in any field, even in business. Many corporations employ BA students and many such students become extremely successful in fields often unrelated to what they studied at University. One such exemple is Carly Fiorina who had an MA in Linguistics and who was, for a while the CEO of HP.
0 Kudos
Starsky
Frequent Contributor
Carly and then you go into politics.....
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Simba you should be and I am sure you are very proud of your son's plans to go to Varsity. No matter what people say about spesific degrees - it is not the degree but the man behind the degree that counts and would feed his family one day!! As to what university, my approach would be practical ie costs, distance away from mom and dad if not always for him then for you and your spouse. Don't forget to ask him where he would like to go, be honest and play open cards with him -which I am sure you do! Good Luck!
0 Kudos
SIMBA
Super Contributor
Over the years i have given out plenty of stick on this forum have no problem with the B.A. cracks. I left school at 15 years and 4 months to train as a plumber. I now own a large building maintenance company in JHB. As well as a boutique investment company. So the pressure of him ever having to feed his family does not arise.He wants to be an international lawyer and me not having any experience of university was merely seeking help from those of you that had completed the system.....
0 Kudos