Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

WHICH UNI

john_1
Super Contributor
Simba.. I know how how far you have come, and I know you want the best for your kids as we all do, but I made those comments just to challenge the thinking not to offend, take it from wence it comes..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simba, I am with John on this. You have learn't many valuable lessons during your climb up the scaffolding. By all means let yr son choose which university he wants to attend, but don't neglect teaching him yr lessons. In my opinion in our rush to be great providers to our children, we neglect to pass on the life lessons we learn't on our way up. We imagine that us lowly plumbers, farmers, artisans have nothing to offer our children & we inure them to the real world. There are many financially illiterate lawyers & doctors & even accountants out there who would greatly benefit from a dollop of "street sense". So inculcate yr son in how you made it to where you are, steep him in the lessons & methodologies that keep you there & pass on to him a sense of "no matter where I come from - I am in charge of where I go" - Then no matter where or what he studies, he will be successful in his life in more areas than just cash & status. OMHO - The university rivalry & Course jibes become secondary to the fact that education is more about the environment IN WHICH YOU LEARN, than WHAT YOU LEARN. You have the most influence over that environment !! :)
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
I could not have said it better myself... having him work as a plumbing appy for a year or two , pay him well but make him save for his studies...that way he will realise just how valuable a great education is.. and you can be sure he will apply himself..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
My first orientation lecture back in the dark ages, the VC got up and started out by saying "what you learn at 'varsity is what you remember when you have forgotten all the facts". I thought that was pretty good.
0 Kudos
suki
Super Contributor
was it professor D. Henderson?
0 Kudos
chas
Regular Contributor
I remember at Rhodes one Prof H H Smith back in the early 80's saying to us first years " a degree is like and ticket into a ball - it gets u into the ball but not teach u how to dance, but it gets u into the ball"....
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Ja Suki - that would have been Henderson.
0 Kudos