Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

WHL or SHP

Plonky
Super Contributor
Greetings...I am keen to put 100k into ONE retailer...Either Woolies or Shoprite...which one ?
0 Kudos
16 REPLIES 16
Preston
Super Contributor
Well Rams says he is going to short WHL and the more it climb above R77 . the more he will short. So i guess i am taking his money today. WAIT for it, he will now focus on STOPLOSS.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:Re:WHL by Rams on 24 Oct 16:53 i agree,i am usually an investor at the 200EMA...now i am working on a sysytem where i can be a trader at the 200EMA, so i can be hold for a long time,,,for WHL, at around 68 odd...at 78(major resisistance, may get a retrace, add more...but it just a sysytem and everyone has one(i tried some humour(blanket story) but i got back sarcasm)....
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
Thanks Preston...I prefer to go for shares with reasonable dividends. WHL has a higher div. yield than SHP, so I am leaning towards WHL.
0 Kudos
mullet_fish
Regular Contributor
split it 50/50....too hard to call...look again in 10 years time...don't worry about checking in between.......
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Plonky, as reposted by Preston, if you trading, above 78. If you investing, then around 68, or higher if it reaches 200 EMA. A good strategy is 70 000 in MPC,and 30 000 in SHP,,,clothing and food. If you trading , as warned by Preston, Stop loss always....read also my post on the blankets ...with stop loss , you can always get it at a better price....oh, I don't own WHL.... I like their food , and the blankets are useful in this rainy weather....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
well, let see now. WHL has a PE of 22, pays a 2,5% dividend, has an operating margin of 10%, serves high margin products to the upper LSM range and has consistently outperformed SHP for the last 4 years. SHP has a PE of 26, a div yield of 1,5% - has an operating margin of 4%, serves low margin FMCG to the lower LSM range, is in a mexican standoff with the Zambian government regarding its entire operation there - and has pegged its growth strategy on similar volatile emerging markets. Eish what am I saying - Shoprite all the way!
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
SHP group op margin was 5.8% at last results
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
and he has the sectors mixed up...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
OK, a couple of percentage points out - but still significantly lower than WHL and my point stands . And RAMS, if you want to be argumentative - argue about something relevant. If you want to split hairs about sub-sectors of the retail industry then you are clearly having a slow day whaching price ticks on your computer screen
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
they retail, but SHP compares with the likes of PIK and Spar...WHL compares with the likes of MPC and Massmart...big diffrence if you comparing the fundamentals...hence i suggested the 100k into retail but MPC(70k) and SHP(30k)....diversification between apparel and food
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
WHL is my favorite retailer! at the right price i would buy it.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
well, why not MPC then, it has , PE of 18, operating margin of 15%, and Div yield of 2.6%....i know the question was SHP and WHL..like roads, roads are roads, but roads in JHB different from roads in Malawi?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Curious as to how you are going to rationalize SHP (food, furniture, drugs, booze, fried chicken) compares to spar (food and building supplies) and PIK (food, with a dabbling in drugs and clothes) but doesn't compare to WHL (food and clothes), MPC (clothes only - not so much as a breadcrumb in any of their businesses), Massmart (building materials, wholesale everything - including food). Wanna have a crack at explaining your point?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
yes, good point...SHP, is 84% food (and groceries...supermarkets) and WHL is 88% non food/groceries, and MPC is 85% clothing(apparel)...SHP is one big food/grocery store....WHL has the food store somehere at the back cramped into a small isle..even the dedicated food store is smaller than SHP stores
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Ramsie, i am battling to understand your initial argument?
0 Kudos