Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

WHY IS SELLING SO DIFFICULT?

Not applicable
I buy Sasol at R282 and a few days ago it touched R316.It would have been great to sell and take a tidy profit.But no,I wanted it to go higher. Now,Sasol is at R306 and I am at least hoping for it to go over R310 before I sell.But if it does go over R310,you can bet I will not sell and hope it will go even higher. In the mean time this share is dropping and I am wishfully thinking. Yes,I do want to take profits. WHY IS SELLING SO DIFFICULT? What are the forums views?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Not applicable
Fear and greed... set your entry, exit and stop loss strategy and most importantly stick to it. Eliminate the emotions.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Greed as the share increases, especially if dealing in geared instruments, and fear the minute it drops as you see your hard earned cash heading for the exit door.When we start out in this game we all tend to sell our winners and hang onto our losers.Try and think of losing as part of winning, just make sure the losers are smaller than the winners, that is what a stop loss is all about.But the most important thing to remember is have rules and stick to them.DISIPLINE!!!!!
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Sometimes a different perspective helps.Imagine if you had bought at 282 and sol had now dropped to 260.Now maybe your 306 doesn't look too bad!
0 Kudos
sponono
Super Contributor
One of my biggest trading mistakes is to be happy with a small profit. If I bought SOL at R292 and now it is trading above R292, it's RSI has broken out on the upside, the price has broken up and traded above R313 and now is doing a return move, I would sit and do nothing. My stop loss has not triggered and I am in profit, therefore I should not worry
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Well the share is GUARANTEED TO MOVE STRAIGHT AFTER YOU SELL!!!...problem is you never know which direction.

If you want the profit take it, then wait and see what happens. If you sold to early (in this case I doubt it for the next few days maybe week) and the share runs up re-look at the reason you bought and why you sold. Then look at what the share is doing, what your time frame is for holding the share and decide if you want to buy in again? only you will get less share but the share price moves up you again profit.

Opposite is true, you sell and the share drops, WOW WHAT A GENIUS YOU ARE FOR SELLINH HIGH!!! Congratulations, and you can again re-look at the share to decide to buy at 282 again or what ever and wiat for it to rise again.

Onl you can decide how much profit to take and when.

A good punt: 306-282= 8% profit - not bad and you could do that 3 times in the next month (hypothetically) and get 24% profit rather than the 320-282 = 13% waiting for it to hit R320 and that could take 3 months..... on course it may not always go from 282 to 306 and back again but I am sure you see the sequence of profit... (Costs have been excluded to simplify but work them in to get better understanding)....OMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
for what it is worth, bluechips like Sasol almost never move in strong uptrends - they tend to be pretty range bound. So you would do well to tighten your stops around now - you might still be able to squeeze in another upleg, if you are prepared to risk 1 or 2% of your profits.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
Yea the weakening of the Rand has given temporary relief. It will be back as the Rand strengthens.
0 Kudos
manicks
Regular Contributor
Im experiencing the exact same feelings- cant sell even though well in profit. Difference is i bought at 286. But im going to hold because i have a feeling sol is heading over 320 level in the near term. Rand is weakening and mite weaken even more after tomorrow.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
With oil weaker weaker rand might not push prices up.
0 Kudos
DR_1
Super Contributor
down quiet a bit in NY. I learned to plan your entry and exit. There will always be money left on the table, as long as you make money it should be fine. I wanted to buy agl at 229, when it was a 230 and missed it, now look at the price. same share bought at 155, sold at 190, then it went up to 250.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
be careful with this statement. If your entry signals only get generated 5 or 6 times a year, and you have set yourself profit targets, then you are going to need some big moves on those entries to hit them. No point taking small profits if you only have the opportunity to trade a couple of times a year.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
SOL 30170 Are you Still laughing??
0 Kudos