Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Wal-Mart

mikki
Contributor
I just caught a few seconds of this on the radio this morning regarding a possibility that Wal-Mart might be looking at buying Shoprite. Anyone know any more? I do have shares with Shoprite. Which way do you think the share price could go?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Not applicable
They looking to enter the market. I know they have met with Pick 'n Pay as well.
0 Kudos
mikki
Contributor
I see Christo Wiese has bought around R15m worth of SSF's in March. There was a sale of shares of R3m in April however by some other Director.
0 Kudos
Herms
Contributor
Have a look under "company news". Full article posted over there. At the moment it's just speculation so I don't foresee any major price moves as a result of this. Maybe at a leter stage if there are more facts on the table the situation would need some reassesment. But I would keep holding onto my Shoprite.
0 Kudos
mikki
Contributor
Thanks for the feed-back.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Shopped @ Walmart in USA last Nov: Service - EXCELLENT!! Very competitive - hope this trend continues here if this is true!
0 Kudos
Whatsup
Contributor
Both Shoprite and PnP could be targets as unlike Spar and Woolies they have a very poor centralized distribution centre setup. The oppotunities of applying Walmart's international expertise in DC (distribution centre) management could leverage huge profits. Add to this a world class IT system to manage stock replenishment and Walmart could pay off the purchase price very quickly. Retail head offices make more money out of money management than out of trading (relatvely speaking). That is to say with the ability to replenish timeously and reduce overstocks,(IT systems, reduced stock holding through excellent centralized DC management and effecient on shelf management through category management applications)turning stock over frequently and paying manufacturers on due date, money in the bank is huge. Also bear in mind is that buying a reatil group in South Africain global terms is small change.Whilst RSA is not a huge market it is a desireable aquisition.
0 Kudos