Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Warrants/Waves-problems with issuers

CrownA
Super Contributor
I have spoken to Debo at the JSE concerning various issues I have had with issuers not being in the market. Like this am, ABSA were offline till about 10am. Not bloody good enough. There is a meeting with the issuers and the JSE on the 6th Dec, so we should all make a list of gripes to be discussed. I am trading the DB Waves and ABSA Knock-Outs and with ABSA they sometimes leave the market at key times of the day. I phone DB and ABSA repeatedly to get their matrices into market. Why can't they do their jobs properly? Another thing is the spreads. I think when a warrant is at say 10c, the spread should be max. 1c - but sometimes it is 5/10 -how the hell are you going to trade a 50% spread. I suggest anything under 50c, should have a max 1c spread, and anything over 50c, should be allowed a max 2% spread. I also don't like the fact that the warrants are only open from 9.10am and close 4.50pm. This gives the issuers time to tweak their matrices to the market -surely the matrix should work everyday, and one day difference should not make that much difference for warrants with more than 90days to expiry. Even so their matrices should ALWAYS work.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable
Well said! Think they'll listen?
0 Kudos
CrownA
Super Contributor
I hope the JSE has some teeth to cause some action. Just thinking that spread could be even tighter say 1%.
0 Kudos
faure
Frequent Contributor
Another possible solution would be to introduce vanilla options where anybody can issue them, ie. I can write a vanilla call and sell it on the JSE, effectively doing ABSA/DB etc's job. Arbitrage will ensure an efficient market and strict margin call policies should ideally keep the risk of default as close to zero as possible.
0 Kudos