Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Warrants and Installments Markets

Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Why does the warrants market only open at approx 9.15am. How does one avoid losing out on gains in the 1st 15 mins of main market opening? I see that a market order can be placed before the warrants market is open - is it safe to place a market order in those 1st 15 mins?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
Not applicable
SImon will answer it better, but the first and last 10 min of every trading day is opening and closing auction. During this time period the market "settles" in and if you look closely enough prices could swing quite high and low from closing price yesterday. The opening of the warrant market at 09h10 is to avoid (protect?) warrant traders from these price swings that in fact might take you out on a stop without your intent.

Also I understand that the underlying vs the matrix price (buy/sell) must be in place for 30 seconds as the screen refreshes every 30 sec on their side. I have on many an occasion queried why my trades were not effected and they missed the on screen as the price change in 30 sec was over before they see my trade. Irritating but thats the way it works. so in the first 10 min of market open the prices change so often these levels could easily be missed....this is what i have figured so far in my trading.

So you can place order in the first 10 min but it will only be effected after 09h10. I usually wait till after this period to make a trade decision anyway..IMO
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
opens at 9.10, is a JSE ule to reduce bandwidth spikes at the opening .. an closes at 4.50pm as issuer can't make market as they can't hedge ..
0 Kudos
Enzed
Frequent Contributor
Many thanks guys - appreciated.
0 Kudos