Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Warrants and stop loss

S2000
Contributor
Trying to get my head around the following concept and maybe someone can help. Std bank is market maker for own warrants. If you hold warrant and set say a trailing stop loss, if the price moves through the stop loss trigger price, shouldnt the stop trigger and Std bank trade at or near the trigger price?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Not applicable
I'd also like to know the answer. My SBK warrant was sold at 10% below my stop loss trigger.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
teh fact that SB is market maker means nothing .. the triger is the level at which the stop loss will be sent to market, and to trigger it requires a SALE at or below the triiger price .. the limit is then set by the user and this would be the lowest level we'll trade at ..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
My understanding of Jezebel post is that the warrant was sold at 10% below her stop loss. Surely SBK will act in the best interest of their client.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
we send it to market at limit price .. where it trades will be at best buyer an we have no influence over that best price ..
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Jezebel, this means that you need to set your stop loss 15% higher, in order for warrant to be sold at your desired price.
0 Kudos
coolwaters
Occasional Contributor
Surely a better way to manage your stop loss for a warrant is to set an alert for the underlying at the corresponding stop loss level. When the underlying triggers the alert, you log in and sell you warrant manually. Its not a nice automated method but at least its more effective...
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
That way will be feasible, but Jezebel is an extremely busy business lady. She has to manage Lolly Jacksons various business ventures.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
lol, so Preston, if you have a 10% trailing stoploss, where do you set the stoploss?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
a warrant stoploss is practically useless. It only kicks in on the ruling price OF THE WARRANT, so if nobody trades it, no stop! And since they are pretty iliquid, that scenario is pretty likely.I still don't know why OST can't set the stoploss on the ruling price of the underlying, like with SSF's
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So instead of making a 5% profit on my very first trade I made a 5% loss. Lucky for OST that Simon's brainwashed me into being as unemotional as psychopathic serial killer. Or maybe not.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
@simon - Have you ever looked at the stop/loss web page. The example that they have on that page is a crazy one!! I wanted to activate a stop loss yesterday. The "following" part I set at 20%. That was easy. The second item I had to enter in cent. That m
0 Kudos