Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Warrants and taxes (SARS)

Not applicable
If you've only traded in warrants over the past tax year, do you a) put down your net gain amount (gains-loss)? or b) put down your total gains without subtracting your loss amount. According to the SARS website it says "If a person sustains an assessed capital loss for the year, that loss cannot be set-off against the persons taxable income, but it is carried forward to subsequent years, for set off against any future taxable capital gains." Since I didn't make a net loss, does that still affect me? This is the first time I'm doing a tax return with CGT so please, excuse my ignorance
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
you would need to declare your net p&l. i don't see warrants qualifying for cgt, think you're going to have a tough time convincing sars a derivative instrument is capital and not revenue in nature (i.e. you're not a warrants trader). assuming it won't qualify for cgt you're going to pay on your net p&l @ your marginal tax rate as part of your total taxable income. also ensure you have a warrants account and a share account separately so you don't taint potentail cgt gains with warrant p&l in future, just makes it easier to control. i would recommend getting hold of an accounting / tax advisor (even if you have to pay a small fee) and getting it sorted out so you know for future reference. good luck.
0 Kudos
doomsdayza
Super Contributor
if you haven't already seen it, check out on the OST menu: help and education -> guides -> investor or trader (tax guide for share owners) or @ http://www.sars.gov.za/home.asp?pid=4150&tid=65&s=pubs&show=1260#Tax Guide for Share Owners
0 Kudos