Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Webinar - Anyone agree/disagree

Cherry
Regular Contributor
These webinars are of absolutely no use to me. 1. My employer freaked out when they found out I'm watching a webinar at their expense. Time and broadband costs 2. Internet costs are very expensive and downloading a 45 minute video on my Personal computer is far too expensive considering the volatile markets we're trading. 3. There is no interaction like there would be in the seminars 4. I cant trade my futures and watch a live video at the same time.
0 Kudos
20 REPLIES 20
stores
Super Contributor
I strongly disagree...If you can afford the risk of trading geared instruments, you surely can afford to use Telkoms unlimited ADSL at home...I have learned so much from Simon and his guests Webinars.
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
I agree that the timing (12h30) isnt that great for everyone, however downloading a 45min mov isnt that expensive at all. I've got the 8ta for R 200 a month, I can download 10GB, which is enough for more than 100 webinars.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
The 12:30 timeslot doesn't work for me
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
200 people from Scotland to Kuruman did OK last week. Q&A was live As to Qs typed in by participants. Popular with those who had time & line.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
so your boss is happy for you to trade futures all day .. but not happy if you take a 1 hour lunch break and use some bandwidth ?? A 60 minute video would run at about 60MB and a webinar a lot less, but assuming 60MB, that's about R4.80 on a caped ADSL (wired) connection from Afrihost ..

I will be doing an evening (8pm) tester webinar for OST in the near future .. unfrtuantely no time works for everybody .. interaction not the same as face to face, agreed 100%, this is a totally different medium filling a different space ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, it is a different medium filling a diff space, but, the face to face medium has thereby gotten dropped. I am on a farm line and cannot attend in real time,(access too slow) and really struggle to download from the website, : a 30min webinar takes 1 and a half hours. ! !, if it gets downloaded in one go. Usually the connection gets dropped a few times making for INCREDIBLE frustration. If there cannot be face to face, then written text and charts would be far preferable to video for guys like me.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
if your connection gets dropped, then stay away from trading futures on the farm computers!
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Thanks for your input. Its is valuable and thanks for all the tips on 8ta. Unfortunately I do not have and ADSL as I'm on the move all the time. I trust Simon will do the right thing. I understand you cannot please everyone, but the 12:45 timeslot really doesn't work for most and the webinar certainly doesnt work for me. Thank you everyone. Simon, its also nice to see you and Stuart and the other guys from time to time at the seminars so we can catch up.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
yip bad connections are a problem .. an yes a totally different medium to face to face - which have not been dropped, I still traveling an presenting .. the webinars are supllimentary and playing to the strengh of the internet which is to, amoung things, remove geography from the equation (within farm line reason) ..
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an wireless not ideal for VOIP which is essentially what a webinar is (well VOIP and images) both from a tech perspective but also costs are higher ..
0 Kudos
seded
Contributor
Are OST's webinars going to be archived for access/download by users?
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
Simple then dont watch it. Download it later at your expense. I personally find them very helpful and for the amount of information you get at absolutley not cost to yourself, its priceless. Sheesh - you sound like a tough customer to please.
0 Kudos
topper
Occasional Contributor
I am in the same boat as Farmer Brown - Telkom line enough to drive me crazy!!
0 Kudos
Cherry
Regular Contributor
Someone suggested 8a at R200 for 10gig. Well, I have some news for you. They only cover certain areas and most definitely not my area. Simon, I am surprised that you agree that the downloading could be quite costly. Lets have the seminars and I dont mind paying for Jonathan Roms classes. Those were bloody good for newcomers.
0 Kudos
THRESHOLD
Super Contributor
Yes, I agree, rather take the day off and drive through to attend a seminar in midrand - far more time/cost effective.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
mobile data is expensive, nothing surprising about that ..
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
Obviously online is much more scalable and reduces the need for the lecturer to repeat the same story over and over. I can see where e.g. farm lines might be an issue, but surely even getting a friend to download it and then picking it up on USB is easier than getting a roomful of people together?

Obviously the F2F meeting is awesome, but optimal would be getting the bread-and-butter stuff out the way so you can focus on better questions and discussion when you do make it to a forum or talk.
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
well, if only they could get your drinks and snacks webinared to you too!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Don't give Simon ideas - next webcast he will no doubt have a picture/slide of snacks and drinks!
0 Kudos