Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Webtrader with SBK

stores
Super Contributor
Just got a demo account to check it our before their start up in February. Gee the costs seem high and also their 1% commissions on forex conversions..Webtrader is clearl a welcolm new development, but I would like to know if anyone out there has or knows of a cheaper platform for investing and trading international shares.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
warhippo
Super Contributor
Consider and compare the costs of maybe having an overseas account to trade from ie. ETRADE, Td Ameritrade etc.(many to choose from) It is not difficult to set up an account at all and you may then move fair amounts of money to them.. and trading usually $10(max) or less for any trade. SARS clearance etc. not difficult.
0 Kudos
reyden
Frequent Contributor
1% currency conversion and 0.2% AUM fee for what? SBK are not providing any additional value; research, trade ideas. I'm with TDAmeritrade, that would be my recommendation. Though SBK locally remains my choice for SA equities! SARS clearance etc. with most offshore platforms is much of a muchness.
0 Kudos
Preston
Super Contributor
Standard bank invested substantial capital in the development of WEBTRADER platform, surely they require a return on equity. SBK, well done on this platform.
0 Kudos
reyden
Frequent Contributor
Wrong Preston, I will not go in details....
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
I know a few people who have TD Ameritrade and are very happy. They have also indicated that its also very cheap to trade on that platform.
0 Kudos
reyden
Frequent Contributor
Parttimer, I agree international=TD, locally = Standard. Cost minimization is the name of the game, not brand loyalty!
0 Kudos
Parttimer
Frequent Contributor
Spot on, compound 0.5% over 20 years and you'll get a shock, especially when it does not add any value
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
what do you guys want to trade on international markets? shares, indices, commodities, currency?
0 Kudos
reyden
Frequent Contributor
I trade offshore cash equities and a limited amount of ETF's (mostly on indices)
0 Kudos
stores
Super Contributor
Rams...I want to invest into off shore shares and not trade them...I like you, trade the ALSI...and do that with IG. My SA investment stock and meduim term stuff is with SBK and I like the service they give on OST. I do not like hearing that costs for international share investing with Webmaster are higher than what you can get elsewhere. And I do not buy into Preston's comment with regard to SBK having invested lots of bucks into the project so they now need payback. Maybe SBK have missed the mark here and not paid much attention to what other competition can provide, with their Webtrader project. I will let you guys know more when I start using the demo account.
0 Kudos