Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Weekday effect - Is there any truth to this pattern?

Blik
Super Contributor
In Busetti, pg 286, he states that there is a pattern that the South African market displays, where price returns on Monday being significantly negative on average, then climbing to a peak on Wednesdays before subsiding on Fridays. Has anyone found this patter to be true. It certainly appears to be the case this week for my portfolio.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable
maybe but I have found buying friday about 13h00 to 14h00 to sell by Tuesday/Wed makes me the best profits then again I have had extremely fast and busy trading mondays as well in the last little while. so depends
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I believe the pattern to be generally true
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
thing is .. can you make money from this alleged trend ??
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Also, if these regular patterns exisited would not everyone be trading them, thus making them less regular?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No... if everybady traded them it would make them more regular
0 Kudos
NJ_1
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
same trade patterns more people trading, thus more money into the pattern, bigger moves/changes thus pattern wouldbe less regular. Similar to a short squeeze but now over a longer periode.... pattern changes
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The JSE's diet isnt very rich in fibre. It will eat YOU for breakfast if you dont pasop.
0 Kudos