Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

What are your views ?????

Maddog
Regular Contributor
I currently have 220K split amongst 12 different shares i try not to have more than 10 shares in my portfolio at any given time, however i sometimes think it would be better to invest 100K in two shares and spent all my time just watching those two shares. What do you guys think
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Think you will spend a lot of time watching the other shares which are not in your portfolio; also given the amount, etc you probably are in there for the long term, then maybe not a bad idea, but too much in 1 basket (2 baskets) except if you are not worried about its volatility.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
The question is why do have 12 to start with. also whats your time frame, if you have 12 miners whats the point or 12 banks.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Poochman, less is more, I think. It's easier to keep an eye on yer eggs when they in the same basket. Splitting between shares only makes sense over time - slowly build up a core holding of good counters that you've entered when they were in good buy areas, and taken enough profit from to be happy to let them rest with minimal oversite. Otherwise, put most of it in Satrix - gives you a good overall exposure to the market - gather in lots of, say 20k per month, for safety sake. The rest of yer stash will gather interest in the meanwhile.
0 Kudos
Maddog
Regular Contributor
Good question started trading 2 years ago with 5K as i got some spare money i plugged it into my account I am investing for the medium to long term ie 30% of portfolio 1-3 year 50% 3-5 years and my 20% oppertunity money that i look for dips or IPO' etc I am currently spread amongst construction,mining & property with a tiny bit in I.T. The real question is what is the line between diversity and risk. The less diverse you are the more risk but the more diverse you are the lower your profit potential
0 Kudos