Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

What can i say?

barry_1
Super Contributor
...up 65% off its lows from beginning of March!....The most positive thing i can think of is that its Xstrata's BEE company so they will probably not let it go under!....First to talk about steel....Anglo boasted that the steel they could not sell ,due to glut ,they sold to China.What they did not add is it cost them a fair undisclosed amount to relocate it from their surplus collecting areas in Europe etc and then the price they received was certainly less than the going rate....At least they got rid of it.Steel is generally still in surplus,but prices seem to be stabilising...Now to CHROME.THERE ARE MANY companies ou there that can produce chrome....All have have scaled back by closing furnances.To name a few Xstrata,ASA, Samacor,Merafe,Lion of Africa etc in the local area.There must be many more world wide....At least they no longer are paying off skilled workers ,so there seems to be some hope....How long will it take to work at a profit again? i dunno!....This is only an update of the situation of what i have been able to find out. Please form your own opinion of Merafe's merits!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
platsak
Super Contributor
Barry. As far as know they have good cash reserves and once (or when)the markets turn they are problably in a better position to capitalize. I must say I am mystified as to the dramatic rise. Except for a director buying I cannot find other news out there.
0 Kudos
Mr_S
Super Contributor
Im still trying to decide which best to invest in, Merafe, REI or GND. All seem to be great long term. Spoke to Werner last week, and hes 100% for GND. Im just not sure GND can make substantial gains, i mean maybe we are looking at moderate, stable gains long term. I think with the cash Merafe has, aquisition growth is a huge option, GND has the bucks, but im just not sure where they would find new acquisitions like they apparently have done in the past. One thing tho, GND looks like a great one to take advantage of the global downturn. Any views barry
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I also don't know what to make of the price rally. Volumes are way off the volumes in 2008. Looking at the price at volume indicator for hte last 3 years, it seems that the R1 mark is the most heavily traded price range (although 2006 skewes the 75c mark). This implies that R1 is when institutions bailed out of the stock. Now the question remains, will they bail in again? Volumes is what will drive my decision to take profit or not
0 Kudos
Not applicable
So far so good, MRF holding its own with decent volumes.
0 Kudos