Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

What can we expect from the JSE if Zuma becomes president

surfer
Regular Contributor
Other than people fleeing the country ,due to africa showing its true colours once again and ofcourse having an uneducated corrupt president.
0 Kudos
44 REPLIES 44
Not applicable
I would expect a fair bit of foreign investment leaving the country (very quickly) whilst they wait to see how things are going to pan out. JZ is not seen as a very investment/business friendly option for top dog.
0 Kudos
Q2W
Super Contributor
Hopefully that will never happen. But if it does, forgein investors will surely leave on a big scale.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
1c worth - I am much more concerned about what will become of the enviro during the rally leading to the next election. If the population goes berserk during wage negotiations or when the youth league runs havoc because of a dislike in the school system, what will become when the factions in traditional style muster support for whoever is to become the next president.
0 Kudos
Brazen
Super Contributor
Yawn, surfer. Why don't you just emigrate to the good ol US of A and have done with it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The market will tank... with, i estimate around 30% (thats roughly how much of the JSE is foreign investment) Zuma would be a popular choice on a grass roots level, but would be seen as a disaster by the middle to top income earners and internationally.. would kind be like having a paedophile version of George Bush elected in the US... nightmare stuff for us. of course i'll rip out 0.00000000000000001% worth and find me a patch of dirt in Vietnam to retire to.
0 Kudos
surfer
Regular Contributor
I tend to agree with you guys .hopefully it will never happen.we must not be anti zuma we should be pro toyko
0 Kudos
Not applicable
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
Lovely. It is extremely important to accept this value : NOT to be AGAINST something/event, but to be IN FAVOUR OF whatever one passionately support. It creates a positive outlook according to the concept of talking about a glass half full of ..., as opposed to referring to the glass half empty ...
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
I expect the same as everyone expected from Mbeki becoming president-disaster!The more things change the more they stay the same!I'm more interested in what BIL is going to do in the next few days.Any ideas?
0 Kudos
topgun
Super Contributor
..and if we follow this logic then Zuma equals a glass half empty and Sexwhale a glass half full, which is the same but for the perception. This sounds exactly right to me, little difference but for the media created perceptions...
0 Kudos
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos
Samir
Super Contributor
Does anyone know if a South African can opne an Australian bank account from here... And slowly, and legally transfer money across...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ive always felt the glass is twice as big as it needs to be...
0 Kudos
Jacques_1
Frequent Contributor
President of the ANC or of South Africa.... I`m not too sure if the world would care if he became the leader of the ANC
0 Kudos
scandal
Super Contributor
Assuming that ANC is still leading party after next election, ANC president has some clout. Party policy has effect on National policies, so me thinks the world would still care to some extent.
0 Kudos
MoMoney
Occasional Contributor
To Simon, I would suggest we avoid posting biased political opinion on this web site under the guise of financial opinion. Unless ofcourse you wish to turn this site into a a cesspit of racial venom. This is not MoneyWeb, let's keep it purely financial and about the money. (My two cents' worth, I do not believe Zuma will have any effect if any at all on the markets. But, then again, I am an african and a lot more positive about the future than some of you guys, who are dying to see things go wrong, so that your prejudice can be justified)
0 Kudos
Ega
Super Contributor
I am also an African.

However I don't think it's in good taste to call all these good people on this forum biased. Needless to say you have personalised this post towards being what you say should be avoided.

In a financial micro and macro environment it is of paramount importance as to whom is at the helm; President, Finance Minister, CEO, CFO or any other.

As stock markets are highly susceptible to emotions, I believe it is in good faith that this item was posted to gauge the emotional climate if such a, hopefully unlikely, event took place.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Nothing to do with prejudice,all to do with how the rest of the world views the president.If Zuma gets in he will be considered a laughing stock as is the Health minister.Surely you can see that it would be better for a person who is held in high regard by the world to become president,than a clown.....
0 Kudos
Russ
Super Contributor
Agreed, for a moment I thought I had logged onto Moneyweb by mistake.
0 Kudos