Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

What do live futures prices actually tell us?

Not applicable
I have been wondering about this little question for a while now. I often glance over to my open web page for live futures prices early morning to see "whats up or whats down". Looking at the DEC09_ALSI (which I found out was actually the TOPI index futures - go figure the legacy naming standards) the futures are up by a good 300 points (22535) from yesterdays close of the TOP40 (22236). Now does this mean we will "POP" at the opening bell for our markets? Does this higher than present close futures indicate what the market is seeing in DEC 09 as the average points upto 90days ahead? Does this data show a shorter term advance of our market compared to the close from previous session? ..... I am hoping this makes sense to all our estimed futures traders and market watchers. Can someone give me direction on this as I still cannot seem to get the answer that would demisify the futures price pre-market opening. Tnx ppl
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ALSI futures do give a decent idea of where we'll open as it is close to the market opening .. an a big move naturally a stronger indicator then a small move .. two things to consider, this is just pointing to open, not the days trading .. further where did they close, remembering the futures market closes at 5.30 so a large post market 5pm close could confuse issues ..
0 Kudos
_Marco_
Frequent Contributor
Where could i find local futures ? Is there one for the JSE as we find on the dow , S&P500 etc.. ?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
warrants.co.za has a link to 10 second delayed futures for ALSI ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks Simon. That makes my understanding easier. Hopefully I can start intergrating some of this info into my trading style and test the results....who knows maybe better trades...
0 Kudos
_Marco_
Frequent Contributor
0 Kudos