Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

What kind of returns do you generate monthly?

Not applicable
I have made a string of losses overleveraged in futures, had to stop trading for a while. Got back in now with an entirely new trading strategy that is quite conservative. I have managed to generate a return of about 7% over September. No super feat given we were in a bullish market, but I was proud of myself managing to cut losses short. Anybody care to share thier avg returns and trading strategy?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Ninja
Super Contributor
My swing trade system below is very simple however has been generating me consistent returns for some time. The key as with all systems is protect your capital, implement your stops...the rest is simple TA. Core trading Principles: 1) Do not let emotions fluctuate with the up and down of your capital. 2) Be consistent and even tempered. 3) Judge yourself not by the outcome, but by your process. 4) Know what you are going to do, when the market does what it is going to do. 5) Every now and then the impossible can and will happen. 6) Know each day what your plan and your contingencies are for the next day. 7) What can I win and what can I lose? What are the probabilities of either happening? "Every morning in Africa a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you better start running." Part A: Swing System: Notes: 1) The safer trade is with the trend. 2) Live by the 2% rule. 3) Never cancel a pre determined stop - ever. 4) Buy or sell on a pullback, in the direction of the larger trend. 5) Buy or sell near clearly defined support or resistance giving a clear entry point and a clear stop loss point. Always wait for a reversal day - let the market show you where it wants to go. 6) Where possible align your weekly and daily entry signals 7) Don't try and predict when a trend will end in order to take profits, rather move your stop up continuously and get stopped out of a trade than prematurely end a trade to take profits. 8) Focus on 5 shares/indices at a time - no more. 9) Follow the 6% rule when entering new trades. 10) Losing money is ok if you have followed the above rules. 11) Ignore all outside noise - it is irrelevant. 12) Never attempt to call a bottom or a top 13) Always trade the price - it is the only truth. Entry Trigger: 1) Reversal day off support or resistance.(Aggressive) Break of short term trend line - less aggressive. 2) Break of key support or resistance.(Continuation of existing trend - support now becomes resistance and resistance now becomes support for purposes of exit strategy.) 3) Reversal day at end of trend. (Confirmation of end of current trend and start of new short term market direction) 4) Fail point break on RSI Entry Confirmation (Indicators): A) Indicator support 1) RSI: Extreme Oversold or Overbought position. Convergence / Divergence with price Break of resistance Break of fail point in extended OB/OS situation. 2) Stochastic: Extreme Oversold or Overbought position. Convergence / Divergence with price Break of resistance 3) Momentum: Extreme Oversold or Overbought position. Convergence / Divergence with price 4) MACD: Extreme Oversold or Overbought position. Convergence / Divergence with price MACD crosses the signal line B: Price Confirmation: 1) If long needs to be green at 4.30pm following day. (And vice versa) 2) If red wait to see green confirmation following day at 4.30pm. 3) If price closes above (below) reversal day, trigger cancelled. 4) NB: If the price trigger (Eg: Dark cloud cover at top of rally) is strong enough at 4.30pm there is no need to wait for 2nd day confirmation as long as confirmation from indicators and market sentiment are aligned with your trade. This will give you a closer stop and limited risk. Exit Strategy: 1) Fail safe stop - the greater of 15% or 2 X ATR loaded in system at execution of trade. (trailing stop) 2) Trading stop: (Fixed Stop) a. Close above/below key support or resistance line or reversal day high/low. b. Close below/above previous significant high or low indicating the trend is reversing - take profits. 3) Trading stop needs to be calculated before execution of the trade. Once finalised this stop is non negotiable and must be implemented regardless of any other factors. 4) Trading stop is an end of day price, not an intra day price. Trading stop to follow price up, locking in profit at all trend pull back support/resistance levels. 5) Fail Safe stop can trigger on an intra day price. Discipline: 1) Do the right thing. 2) At the right time 3) For the right reasons 4) Discipline of the mind 5) Consistency of action
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My system is similar to Ninja and I tweaked it a little with a brilliant post from John some weeks ago. I aim for 10 to 15% per quarter and have averaged about 12% lately. Not fantastic but sufficient for me at the moment. Rebuilding Capital after the scholl fees I paid before wising up to the idea of not bucking the system....
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Ninja...I cannot accuse you of being vague! Talk about explaining your strategy. You even went into psychology and philosophy. Just a few questions: You say "live by the 2% rule" which I assume means risk no more than 2% of your capital a trade...BUT then you say "Follow the 6% rule when entering new trades"...what is this? Also, what 5 shares are you following right now and why these in particular? CPS, what is the idea behind Johns brilliant post??
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Jonno, this is a tough game, I hope my post will act as a starting point as you start to work on your own strategy. The 2% and 6% rules refer to risk management principles....never risk more than 2% of your capital on a single trade - ie: determine your position size by your stop loss range and 2% target.Never have more than 3 open positions until one moves into profit allowing you to enter a 4th trade...capital protection. I trade largely mining shares however the theory focuses on becomming an expert on a few shares as opposed to trading wildly across the board. Of course you may choose to look at 10 or 15 shares, the principle however remains. I found that once I could get the psychology right, trading became unemotional and far more succesful. Read Trading in the zone by Douglas....it is essential reading.
0 Kudos
Hedgehog
Frequent Contributor
Hi Ninja - I am pleased that somebody know how to make money from trading. Do you trade shares or derivatives? Regards
0 Kudos
Oom_Boom
Frequent Contributor
Top marks to Ninja! You have managed to write down what many of us have swishing around in our minds. I admire the dicipline you exhibit and you are now officially on my list of rolemodels. I use a very similar system to yours, and am still in the process of cutting myself off emotionally, I am 80% there and the results are tangible $$$. Keep up the good work.
0 Kudos
Ninja
Super Contributor
Grubber I trade CFD's and SSF's........still have a huge amount to learn, my system is nothing new and probably very simplistic to the accomplished traders in this room, but with the correct risk management it suits my trading style and delivers consistent returns.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Any of you trading to make income i.e to put food on the table and pay the bills?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ninja please provide bankdetails lol.as you mention its probably nothing new but if new traders apply your rules they will save a lot on school fees.thanx for free advice
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
The pecentage gains/growth that is mentioned here every month, does that factor in some of the indirect costs ie: 1. loss of interest on capital investment 2. hourly personal time value spent by trading? - just interested.
0 Kudos