Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

What price cheap?

SimonPB
Valued Contributor
Finding value .. long term PE of PIK as a tool for value buying ?? http://bit.ly/bCGhKh
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
Quakedog
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Nice post Simon. How did you choose your 15 and 18 as breakout values?
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
15 is the seldom hit level, so a great entry level .. 18 no solid thinking, just was a busy level .. kinda mid level ..
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Ok - just done one for Discovery - seems to be a cheap (in relative PE terms) buy below about 12.5 and a bit pricey above about 13.7 or so.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
Now take this idea one step further and compare the Buying zones of other blue chips...that way you can deploy cash at the right time but also into the best value...PNP has a buying zone of 13 while BATS has a current PE of less than 12...so where do you want to put your cash???
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Simon - is there a way one can do this using the Charts tool on this site? Or if not, is there a possibility that ratios like PE, DY and ROCE could be added to the charts tool?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
any basic charting programme can do this.
0 Kudos
Blik
Super Contributor
Sure - but can the chart tool on this site do it? If so what would I type or enter to show the DST historical PE range for example? At the moment I just use the historical data in Excel, but that's an extra step to download, and sort or format the data.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
well maybe .. maybe not .. it BAT cheap at current levels ?? relative to BAT ??
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
No but it is cheap realative to Pick n pay.. so even at this level you going to do better with your buck if you use current PE as only measure.. so now if you wait to catch BAT when BAT is cheap..then you will be a real winner... that be my point!
0 Kudos
Spoegs
Contributor
PEG ratio possibly a better indication of "cheap". But this is not really available "live" and you need access to forecast growth numbers in a format that is easily transferrable to where ever you're doing your PEG calc. "Information is the currency of the new millenium, and probabaly the next one too" Archibald S. McIntyre
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
I use PEG more for growth companies .. and as you say, what of the forcast .. we have them on the site, but the reliability?
0 Kudos
Spoegs
Contributor
Do your own forecasts or at least put the forecasts through your own BS detector - DCF etc I suppose. Taking stuff off the SB website in my experience into excel spreadsheets is like a trip to the dentist. Fine if you're only looking at one or two shares but if you're looking at a sector etc then you need novocaine to get through the ordeal. Simon, or anyone else - maybe you've got some tips that I've been missing. If I wanted forecast G's for 40 companies how would you reckon I get them off the site efficiently?
0 Kudos
DST
Super Contributor
Go to tickertalk.co.za - search for PEG tool. Very handy.
0 Kudos