Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

What to buy, what to buy

Not applicable
Just received some additional cash to pump into my investment portfolio, and with this market dip, it seems the time to buy is emerging. But what though. Most stocks still seem over valued, IMO. In my current portfolio, BSR & SNU are still trading at very low PE's and looking like good value - but htey are not the strongest shares right now. Grindrod has had a good run and the pullback seems to be a good entry, but it is trading at historically high PE's so it is pretty much a hold only on my books. Think I might bolster my SNU holding and sit with the rest of the cash until I have done some homework on new stocks that I can add to my portfolio (BTI, for example)
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
kwagga
Super Contributor
BTI you can add now. It had it's sell off and are now creeping back to fair value. With the rest I'd also wait. Just one tip - A balanced portfolio are always spread across a few sectors. Don't get caught with overexposure to one sector - spread your risk, seek dividend paying stock.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
I have the same issue in finding value right now, but will check out shortly and if i find anything thats interesting will let you know. A friend told me about AdvTech the other day - was looking into that, i seem to run out of time really fast nowdays and am still busy trying to compile some thoughts on this one, but it looks quite interesting... let me know if you have any thoughts on it.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
The highest ranked companies on Return on Capital Employed (most cash generative companies) combined with lowest PEs (cheapest) and over a billion market cap with a positive div yield (aka my magic formula candidates) are from 1 to 10: WBHO, Stefstock, Raubex, Reunert, Oceana, Afgri, Ad*****, Group5, Basread, Tigbrands. Not surprising to see a lot of construction stocks here as it has to do with future outlook on construction, but TigBrands on the list did surprise me.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
If Greece and Portugal continue as they are, buy shorts. Or wait, because you'll get a lot of long-term bargains!
0 Kudos
DA
Contributor
Spur and Famous Brands - people gotta eat... Check the regular and consistently increasing divs over the years.
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
Yesterday added BTI and more BIL to my buy and never sell portfolio, at levels under 240 for the former I feel is a good entry level
0 Kudos