Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

What to do?

Not applicable
This share made me 11.8% so far since early October, and is still going up. What would be the best strategy going forward? Would be prudent to take the profit now, or should I wait until next year - results should be strong after the holiday period.
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
why do you want to sell something that is going up ?? sell what is going down .. more importantrly, what was your exit strategy before you entered ???
0 Kudos
Not applicable
>> why do you want to sell something that is going up ?? - well that's my concern, I don't think I should be selling, but I am new to this hence I thought more experienced traders might shed some light. >> more importantrly, what was your exit strategy before you entered ??? - my general strategy is beating inflation and modest gains in medium to long term period. I don't have much of exit strategy for each specific share, otherwise I wouldn't be asking now would I :)
0 Kudos
MarkD
Contributor
the main problem i have had is actually selling something thats on the down. Im trying hard to overcome that and I hope I am succeeding more than in the early days. I bought some Shoprite shares around a year ago, and I'm very glad i didnt sell them at 11%. They have to-date gone up by over 50%. I dont know anything about your share but if the future looks rosy, I'd let the good times role and sit tight, personally.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
ok, that's the plan for now, thanks!
0 Kudos
warhippo
Super Contributor
Alecsa, you did your homework when you bought your share. So you are happy with what you have. If it is performing - then the better. If you are busy building a portfolio for the longer term then keep your shares. If for some instance you have concerns about the future performance then maybe get out - and make this a simple exit strategy. You are on the right track - that is making money. Good luck man.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
My reading of this is that a question is asked to which a wise reply is given, and that kind gesture, may have come from a very busy person who in fact bothered to be helpful. Would it now be correct to have a swipe at him. Seems to be action which would not be welcomed by forum members. Jangat
0 Kudos
prancing_horse
Super Contributor
My advice not only to you but other beginners out there is to repeat what has been said before, that is , attend as many of the courses/presentations SBK offers. Then you make up your own mind if you want to trade or invest (or do both).With that knowledge you could have answered your own question.Finally, one last word of advice, a bucket placed under a leaking tap will also get full, and whats good is that there's no waste.In other words the secret to getting rich is patience and accumulation
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for all advice, I will take this into consideration.
0 Kudos