Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

What would really help.....

barry_1
Super Contributor
....the financials and property is an anouncement by Tuesday latest that there is going to be a special emergency meeting of the reserve bank!That would properly set the cat amongst the pidgeons!....When i originally spoke about bringing down interest rates,most on our learned forum took the side of the govenor against such a move...i now feel that we are behind the curve and should join the rest of the world and reduce interest further.Try as we may we cannot divorce ourselves from other nations as we asr dependent on trade with them to financially survive....Our interest rate is one of the highest for a partial developed nation.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Not applicable
I am not much of an economist, but if interest rates are lowered, will it really make much of a difference to the economy? Does it amount to a domestic market benefit only or will international investors perk up interest? If it is domestic market benefit only, how much difference can we as consumers really make in this type of market? I mean, if the issue here is that lack of credit is hampering growth, how will lowering interest rates combat this?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Helps small bussiness ie if a small buss saves 2k on a loan repay that can relate to one job saved.Bonds down people spend more on consumer goods and helps manufacturing comp etc.Car manufacturers etc
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
There are only two reasons why they'd reduce rates, and that's if they thought inflation would be within their target bounds relatively soon, or if Parliament changed their target. Most countries don't target inflation so we can't compare to them. The Resbank can't change that - they can only change once Parliament change the goal the Resbank has.
0 Kudos
SKALA
Super Contributor
What would help us all is the lowering of food prices. I think some organisations are making big bucks off the population by way of exploitation in some way. Have no proof of any wrong doing, just my view on this. I might be very wrong.
0 Kudos