Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

What your PORTFOLIO VALUE?

Not applicable
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Blik
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
a couple of R's... What's yours?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Well portfolio value is not relevant , rather percentage profit?
0 Kudos
el_nino
Contributor
I agree with RAMS...
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
% profit not that important, whats more important is % profit over what period and is it consistent?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Buy and Hold,; 16% C.F.s 74% Since Sept 2011
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
% profit on portfolio is annualised...so 20% is 20% per annum..thats standard.
0 Kudos
Franksays
Frequent Contributor
No - if you sell something for a profit and buy again the numbers get diluted. I use Abacus portfolio Manager to track my portfolios performance. You almost need to use an IRR.
0 Kudos
BC02
Super Contributor
agreed, it gets very tricky, especially when you make contributions to the fund. I fund that using a unit value works best for me. Starting date = R 1, and then a contribution means you buy units at that point in time.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Fanksays ...I totally agree...anyone can make fantastic returns ...it takes no skill whatsoever. Returns over time are the real measure....... and portfolio value (i.e. the capital employed) is absolutely a variable...much easier to show spectacular gains with a small portfolio of 100K than with 1 Bar...especially if you trading derivatives....issues of slippage and liquidity are very real....some see the world so simplisticly one wonders how they ever get by...but then again wht can expect if people cant count?
0 Kudos
Rams
Super Contributor
Hey, Charty, what's the count?
0 Kudos