Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Whats Happening To BHP Billiton??

Werner_1
Super Contributor
lol, simon you 100% correct, i just thought it would actually be interesting to see where the limit starts to kick in, obviously the JSE can only have a certain level of trades until one consumes the entire offering of the instrument, not?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
i have an idea, the people in the know for trading these high returns should form a investment management firm and take on retail clients funds to get these returns, what you think?
0 Kudos
fusion12321
Frequent Contributor
werner i think its obvious this shanil character is talking a world of nonsense. just look at his question at start of topic.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
they do, Soros Quantum fund, hedge funds, etc ..
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
yip, thats true, but how accessible are these to the small guy? I think there could be a market for hedge funds, short term trading and long term investor funds that offer these hedge funds services to the small guy in the street, i dont know if this exists yet?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Werner, if a trader is following strict trading disciplines, then he/she is only putting 2% odd of capital at risk at a time. Assume you get 50% of your trades right, and a simple exit strategy is twice your risk spread, then you will need 50 trades to double up in a month. A day trader might be able to achieve that, but I doubt you can get that kind of volume of trades using ssf's or shares. Unless, of course, the trader is taking bigger risks with their capital
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
ya that's a good point .. 100% is possible, but with real risk management very very unlikely (unless day trading 1 min bars) .. aiming for 100% a month means betting the farm every time and if you do that, sooner or later you loose the farm .. an this is a real risk for most traders, they do the "go big or go home" strategy, and then they all end up going home ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
By Vaalseun.I think it is possible for Shanil to have returns of 60%/month if he is playing SSFs and/or CFDs.He can even do better.I followed the MAM4 competetion.The frontrunner went from R9000 to R160717 in 2.5 months.It is a return of 1685.74 or 674.296$/month
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
competitions do nothing but promote trading and make brokerage .. out of all the contestants, one is going to get lucky an show excelelnt results that can be shown off as what can be done ..
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Sorry,it must be 674.296%/month
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Pietmuis, you want to be checking out the overall statistics on that competition. The guy who made 640% was 1 out of how many? I know a couple of guys who did a lot better than that with a lottery ticket. Now you have to ask yourself, was the winner better than you or did he have an element of luck in his pick.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Skaaptjop.Please correct me if iam wrong.That 2% risk you are talking about,must it not be the stoploss?To me it makes more sense to put 10% of availlable capital in a trade and then put in a stoploss of 2%-5%.Eg if you have R100k trading capital use R10k per trade and the amount of the stoploss will be then R200-R500.OMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Dudu i was in overseas for some time.. didnt have anytime to to follow bil.. thats why when i got back, i asked that question!!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Werner,as a longterm investor what percentage of your capital was wiped out during the crisis or did you use a stoploss of about 10%-15% to protect your capital?In my eyes its pointless to own a piece of a company if i lose a large portion of my capital.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
i dont use stoplosses on my long term positions, they selected rather to generate good dividend and over time capital growth, so it was just over 25% drop. the system i use basically acquires shares in crises and when the prices gets too expensive cash is accumilated and used again when my model tells me that prices are of a bargain nature, based on my secret calculation...
0 Kudos