Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Whats' with our market today

TraderSteve
Frequent Contributor
Why is our market down more than other world markets?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
gloomy Friday - also the market discounted on an expected interest rate hike
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Why do our markets go UP more than other markets?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Every Tom,***** and Harry is threatening to strike over wages.This and all the usual, will affect foreign interest in our shares as well as local interest.Very damaging.....
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
DT, nah investors ignore strikes in the immediate as they are expected. In fact I saw a forward projection for a gold mine some years ago, and it included days lost due to strikes.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
yes, agreed but the intensity we have seen recently is not a good sign for business.Never before have I seen such "stuborness" from the workers and unions.Foreigners must be watching with keen interest.By the way ,what is wrong with the name *****.
0 Kudos
kr_pto
Super Contributor
it sounds too much like winkie. go figure
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
dumbtrader, with respect - then you are a youngster. This strike has been very soft, remember the security guard strike last year? etc.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Thanks for the compliment Simon,yes I remember it very well,however violence is not the only yardstick to use.The crippling public services especially schools and hospitals is far more effective and scary.If you as a Government employee are unhappy you can cripple everything of importance and nothing can be done.......Police approached the Labour court for permission to strike...Imagine that.This scenario does not overfill me with confidence.
0 Kudos
CHATTYCHAT
Super Contributor
It should only be scary for the first world guys - hence their responce will affect us all. Should get used to the third world enviro, guys. Fact is the rebellious masses have nothing to lose, they might cripple the service levels and serve as source for high blood, but in the end they rule... even under crappy conditions. omo @ 1c. Have a nice week end, may the Black Tornado lose to the Brittle Boks.
0 Kudos
ABuzz
Super Contributor
I agree that the strike is hurting us, but I also don't think the sad ecconomic state in which Zimbabwe is in is helping us at all. Unfortunately we will often be painted with the same brush by foreign investors, not fair, but a reality. Yes we are one of the strongest ecomomies in Africa, but with Zim as a neighbour it doesn't help much when they are in the state they are at present. In the world scheme of things we compete with other emerging countries and there are a lot of positive ones to pick from if you're an international investor.
0 Kudos