Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Whats your poison?

Not applicable
I was wondering over the last few posts what each of us has as a preferred trading product? I also then futher questioned the simple reason why that and not another and then the obviouls one are you able to beat the system with the choice? I use mainly warrants and CFD to trade. Reason I understand them better than other products (normal share trading excluded as that I consider more investing than trading). I do pretty well from them but am getting better, after being over confident I loose a chunk then rebuild and learn to be less over confident. Seems to be working and am less emotional and more mechanicl in the trades. I dont do futures or SSF etc. I dont like the possible unlimited risk over my initial capital.
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
CFD has the same possible unlimited risk over my initial capital that a SSF has ..
0 Kudos
DEP
Super Contributor
I use mostly installments - this is enough risk for me. SSF and CFD are to risky for my trading portfolio, which is about 20% of my saving.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
Barrier warrents :-(
Downfalls have been predominantly greed and pannic ... I seem to be getting that under control and had a recent bout of overconfidence - analysing John's "life-cycle of the trader" I think I'm going to be just dandy now, as long as I have access to graphs.
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
And I think these work for me cos I'm generation Y and need to get results. I get impatient with shares, although I keep a portfolio of them going.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Simon, Yes I suppose. CFD at least I can close out without the spread of warrants. Like my last expamle on TKG. the spread to make 2c on warrant was (1.8%) 60c on underlying with (12% profit). With CFD I can at least close out at 55c on the underlying in profit (11%) as opposed to the 1c(5%) I am forced to take on warrant if I close in that spread. Often I find the warrant just misses the spread target but as little as 1c on the underlying so CFD does help in these cases as I can close at any stage. Problem with CFD is commission plus the fixed trade cost as oppsoed to warrants fixed costs. CFD Flexibility but costs needs to be calculated and sometomes the warrant makes more sense (or is that cents?) than CFD and vise versa

Maybe SSF works similar but I have not looked at them.
0 Kudos
jack12
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
SSFs and CFDs, everything else is too wussy for me - can't get rich quick with those. Would move to Index futures once that comes along. Hence need that date so I can exit and migrate to those timeously.
0 Kudos
SimonPB
Valued Contributor
an the real Q then is .. are you gettign rich quick with CFD's and SSF's ???
0 Kudos
saash
Super Contributor
lol .... The Secrets to Getting Rich Quick (and Getting Poor Even Quicker).
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Need higher leverage/gearing. Would be in a better position to answer this question by the end of the year.
0 Kudos
HateGauteng
Super Contributor
Looking at my portfolio, I've lost even more from the ***** that I bought as equities.
0 Kudos
Alonzo7
Frequent Contributor
SSF's and Warrants.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Underlying shares. I'm happy to sacrifice TIME if it gives me more CERTAINTY.....hence I'm happy to create wealth SLOWLY. The more certainty, the better. This is from someone who's first objective is to preserve capital and then, and only then, seek a real return.
0 Kudos