Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

When will this carnage stop?

Not applicable
I am down more then 50% of my portfolio, should i sell now and accept the losses or hold and pray that it might just turn around? any advice welcome
0 Kudos
36 REPLIES 36
Not applicable
Start working on your exit strategy. 50% loss is way too much.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I'm in the same boat but to bail out now is too costly. I'll hang in there for the LONG haul (maybe months, years ???)
0 Kudos
KVW
Super Contributor
If it still goes down your going to kick your ass, rather bail out, leave the money in the money market and come back when this baby has turned, it's going to still be a while before we see a serious bounce, the little boinces that we see makes us only put more in.....
0 Kudos
Galuc
Super Contributor
Jump the boat! You have held on for too long already, sit on the sidelines, even if it is with only half, let the sea calm down. Then get up and fight another day.
0 Kudos
Plonky
Super Contributor
Hello Tester... I am also sore at the moment... down about 22%. Its hard to swallow, and once you sell, the only guarantee is that you have definitely lost the money. I am hesitant to sell now as well, hoping that the markets will recover in a few months time. How do you know when to get back in once the markets turn. ?? This may be the bottom (probably not !!), in which case you will incur the losses and then end up paying more for the same shares when you buy them back again. ? The experienced traders will tell you that you should have stop losses in place in which case you would not have lost so much... this is definitely true, but I have seen manipulation in the markets where traders sell 1 share at a rediculous price which triggers your stop losses.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
omo if u still in now like me im just gonna sit tight til dec who know cos in jan i sold on jan22 thinking save my capital and what happened one of my rules is get out if it goes against you if you didnt like me gonna hang on til the death cannot lock in losses right now just gonna have a cup of tea or whatever is the tipple of the day and relax
0 Kudos
King_Arthur
New Contributor
Tester. I am currently writing to you from New York and all I can tell you is a quote from a man who's investing tips are the ones I follow," Buy when people are fearful", "Sell when people are greedy" and "Buy businesses not stocks" (Warren Buffet) If you don't need the money leave it, unless you have borrowed to invest then you should bail. It will take a couple of years but if the companies you have bought into are sound then you have nothing to fear.
0 Kudos
MichaelR
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
Vano
Regular Contributor
I agree with plonky. Stoploss is important, but there are those who deliberately trigger stoplosses so they can buy your shares cheaply. (I believe Surf Rat calls these critters GROMMETS). I therefore avoid automatic stoplosses. Rather decide on a specific level to sell, and sell only if the CLOSING price is below your stoploss. One needs iron DISCIPLINE though. omo
0 Kudos
Wizard
Super Contributor
I'm afraid this is not the time to be brave.Contrarian views won't make money in this market. This is not a market that will turn around any time soon. It's a market that is falling ever so faster. `Don't catch a falling knife' saying applies perfectly here!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
King Arther...all very well, but what if you can not tell if the company is sound...I will mention just a few were the CEO has publically denied the truth hours before collapse..Bear Sterns..Lehman.. AIG and Northan Rock...Now these are extrme times but a rule should work under any market circumstance. And buying when other are fearful is diffrent from buying when there is a very good reason to be fearful..Your rule only works if the fear is imagined.
0 Kudos
Apis
Occasional Contributor
Hi, i am pumping money in as well and loose...some. But can say i am still learning. When down, I buy myself or my darling somthing nice from Richemont..regards
0 Kudos
Not applicable
This is a good sign - Buffett buys Constellation Energy for $4.7 bln. - ( MarketWatch ) Billionaire Warren Buffett on Thursday said he wopuld buy ailing power firm Constellation Energy Group for $4.7 billion in cash, a nearly 60% discount to where the company was trading just days ago.
0 Kudos
Apis
Occasional Contributor
Advise: Invest in a Book called "Full of Bull.." about trading and the rumors around it. 2nd "King Arthur" mentioned Warren Buffet - buy solid stuff and in the meantime study the phychology in day trading.
0 Kudos
JohnnyCash
Super Contributor
S h i t t a goodi sign? You prolly only saw that Buffet did a deal. Whilst the small fact that it was 60% BELOW where it was trading. Drop the value of your current holdings by 60% and see what that looks like. No good news here...
0 Kudos
barry_1
Super Contributor
ever so often,we all slip up and don't exit when we should,but i suggest using an ALERT on the down side.... as often especially with warrents u will find that the warrants seem to go down to your stop-loss selling level and within seconds shoot up to the previous levels as if nothing has happened....Another stratergy is to then sell HALF your holding....then if it falls further u wont feel as bad!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
It is always hard to tell then , but energy stocks are as cheap as they are going to get. Crude may not go much lower than it is at present. And Sasol has declined by 37% from its high in May this year, plus Sasol also pays a nice dividend . I think we will have a small recovery for a while.
0 Kudos
samoa
Super Contributor
OMO..some times the trend is up. Other times the trend is down.Aslong as the long term trend is upwards..be patient.This is a total overreaction. Wait for the opposite (over)reaction which is not far away.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
always hard to tell, but Sasol is up 4% this morning ...
0 Kudos