Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

When will this carnage stop?

Douw
Frequent Contributor
Yep, it is not nice to see your money disappearing from sight. One technique to take some of the heat off is by "short trading" with your own shares, using part of your portfolio. Sell them high and buy them back on the minor waves. For SOL, use R15 increments. That way I was able to reduce the break-even point from 47100 down to 41300. For the rest of it, I am riding it out no matter what.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
HAIL TO THE KING. Arthur I'm with you. BUY when there's blood in the streets.... especially when it's your own. BUY QUALITY
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
It take a special kind of person not to look at the US's biggest insurer, a 130 year old company, a member of the DOW for ever and a day going down the tubes and not to question that stratergy,....DID you notice Buffet is not buying Finacials at this time..he is buying Resourse shares...
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Which resources is Buffett buying? HARD or SOFT.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
John are you suggesting we should SELL all our financial shares?
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
according to the Birkshire hathoway website..of the 53 listed companies held they sold all their holdings in 9 of them in the last 18 months..thats 16%... so If he never sells or times the market you might want to ask your hero why he does not practice what he preaches....never sell, always hold etc yaun yaun yaun...
0 Kudos
Not applicable
King Arthur. Bring your money and i WILL take it away. All you doing is repeating what you've read in some silly article written by some amateur. Bears are ready to take your money and tear you apart. Why dont you become a journalist... will suit you.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
John who said that Buffett NEVER sells? That would be a silly strategy. BUY and HOLD does not mean you NEVER sell. Give me 20000c for each of my MTN shares today and I would gladly SELL them to you. Am I correct in assuming you DO NOT have a LONG TERM portfolio?
0 Kudos
mehroon
Frequent Contributor
If you are invested in good dividend payers, sit tight.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Agreed Mickey. As long as it forms part of your overall strategy.
0 Kudos
InvestKing
Occasional Contributor
What's the make up of your porfolio?
0 Kudos
Not applicable
I think i saw that Goldman expects 30% rise before year end, others estimates are all pretty high too, so as we are down over 40%, now is an perfect time to buy, the time we've all been waiting for, just IMO
0 Kudos
Not applicable
get used to a bear market for next 4 years all way down to zero! I would sell everything now!
0 Kudos
Not applicable
get used to a bear market for next 4 years all way down to zero! I would sell everything now!
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
Jayemark, I guess we will only hear from you again in Sept. 2012. What twaddle.
0 Kudos
louisg
Super Contributor
John you lost for words I notice..... or answers.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
The year of tax refunds lol
0 Kudos