Visit our COVID-19 site for latest information regarding how we can support you. For up to date information about the pandemic visit www.sacoronavirus.co.za.

bs-regular
bs-extra-light
bs-light
bs-light
bs-cond-light-webfont
bs-medium
bs-bold
bs-black

Community

Share knowledge. Ask questions. Find answers.

Online Share Trading

Engage and learn about markets and trading online

Who has a blackberry

Werner_1
Super Contributor
Guys, this is off the topic, but i have negotiated with MTN to get a very early contract upgrade, so as from the 1st Jan 2010 i can upgrade, I plan on getting the BlackBerry Bold... Have been researching the developer network for BB and find it very interesting. Push-data applications is easy to create, always connected to internet gives really cool functionality together with GPS and Camera... I would like to ask the guys who have BlackBerries to let me know if any of you had ideas for applications that could be interesting to the 35 million subscribers to the BlackBerry service worldwide. I am interested in playing around and trying to create something for the BB but need some ideas that could be interesting... One idea is a geo-tagged image interesting places application where you upload a pic which has the geotagged location (GPS) and a description of the place and why you like it, then it adds it to an online database for other users to see if they in the area, then when you go to CPT you open the application and set your tolerance (50km) and it will give you a list of all interesting spots to visit, then you can search for keywords and read a paragraph that was submitted to discribe it. I think this might exist already, but could be an interesting project - do you guys think this could be usefull?
0 Kudos
39 REPLIES 39
saash
Super Contributor
Hmmm - it sounds a bit irritating actually. I think I'd switch it off, so make sure that's also an option.
0 Kudos
Shaun_Siddall
Super Contributor
Hey Werner - Go check out the BlackBerry application centre, some really cool products. How about a tide chart with swell and wind forecasts....
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
??? I think you dont understand the principle behind the idea ??? - you upload places of interest when you want, it doesnt do anything unless you ask it to give you ideas for places to visit, coffee shops or tourist attractions in whatever city you in...
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Hey Shaun, long time no chat... how you doing? yip, i checked it out really awesome stuff. i found an awesome application that integrates with TD Ameritrade accounts for BB and iPhone. I want to see if i can get some experience in developing some software for the device, very interesting website with tutorials and samples from Research in Motion... I would have to look into getting the data for the tides, etc. then i think it should be quite possible.
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Werner Google has already developed the technology. They are in process of testing the new app.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Whats it called. btw: my idea is not to make something because it is new (i even mentioned that) but to play around with the blackberry API and that idea uses camera, gps and internet connection, all in one.
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
werner, can you help with the margarita challenge please.
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
I'm currently writing something a bit like that. Werner - you still have to finish off the fundamental-analysis app before you're allowed any more projects!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Please let me know what you want it to do and i will let you know... sounds not too difficult though?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Richard, yip, thats true, only problem is that i gave that up when i couldnt find any decent data vendor to supply me with the required data... on the US market i think one gets most data for free, here in SA they want to charge you enormous amounts for it.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Richard, i would be keen to hear more about your application - [email protected].. what platform is it on? i thought such an application could be quite interesting.
0 Kudos
Freelander
Occasional Contributor
Can you use the Blackberry to access OST?
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
they say if you install opera mini it works perfectly. havent tried though...
0 Kudos
richardw
Super Contributor
0 Kudos
Not applicable
Am fine with my iPhone, i can't stand any phone.
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Blackberry is not any phone. its a BlackBerry... lol. iPhone is awesome too!
0 Kudos
john_1
Super Contributor
how about an application, that listerns to your voice maessages and using voice recognition. creates an written version. so you can get the name and number of the caller, when they phoning from a landline...without having to listern to the message
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Hi John, that is an excellent idea. I downloaded the programming software for java provided for blackberry, will see if thats possible, i see the value in that idea!
0 Kudos
Werner_1
Super Contributor
Does anyone know if the BlackBerry Bold 9700 (new one) is available in SA?
0 Kudos